• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mrfirepro

Vin Number

mrfirepro

Unfortunately during my respray I have paid little attention to the VIN number stamped into the chassis above the VIN plate and it is now virtually undetectable (only a few numbers can be made out)

This leads me onto some questions...

1. Is it an MOT failure not to have the VIN number on the chassis?

2. I see from some photos that the area where the number is stamped is unpainted or painted in a white/cream background and others are just painted in the body colour, which is correct out of factory?

3. Looking back at some of my photos the way the numbers were stamped into the panel seems a little ropey, are they all like this?

P1010951_666x500.jpg

Irrespective of the MOT requirement I would like it to be right, any photos showing how they should look or suggestions would be very useful

Weser

I think they are all like that a little "ropey". Both mine are stamped on a white/cream colour that looks very similar to the slam panel colour. On mine you can see the zig zag edges where the tape has been put over and removed after paint. I.e if you took tape from a tape gun the cutter leaves a zig zag. Only mention it as I'm sure you will want it oe.

mrfirepro

Andy,

When you say both yours, it is stamped in two places or do you have two cars :)

I also wonder if the difference is age related as if they changed the way they did them from a certain year?

Edited by mrfirepro

Weser

Sorry I have two cars, a phase one cti and a phase 2 gti. Like I say both of them are the same although the gti's one has a fair bit of surface rust now - I need to re-paint it really.

See what others say but thats what mine are like (and the cti is definitely original), I havn't got a pic to hand.

S@m

You needn't worry about it from an MOT perspective provided the vin plate itself remains present and legible.

Here's the relevant part of the MOT manual;

5. Check that the vehicle is permanently displaying a legible Vehicle Identification Number (this can either be
. on a VIN plate secured to the vehicle. or
. stamped or etched on the vehicle body or chassis).

Note: Only one VIN is required to be complete and legible.

Edited by S@m

Stu

Mine looks identical to yours mate, and as people have said, you've no worries provided the stamped plate on the strut top is still present and legible.

Ill get you a pic later on :)

Miles

You'll find quite a few have badly rusted away now thanks to the rubber seal holding the damp and water, But as said no worry as the Vin plate should be on the car

Andy_C

For safety's sale I'll be masking mine and reattaching the VIN plate but I can't remember an MOT tester ever paying much attention to the one on the scuttle panel before.