• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
JR20516V

Camthrust Bearing Into Xu10J2Te Query ?

JR20516V

The XU10j2TE [8v turbo 2 litre motor ] being a more modern design has a"floating" cam and does not have a thrust bearing as such.

It is common when installing this motor into a 205 that the cam from a DFZ engined 205 is swapped for the original one to apparently give more performance.

My query is......when installing the DFZ cam does the 205 thrust bearing have to be installed as well???

Slo

Turbo engine cam is not a floating cam the thrust bearing is integral to the first cam cap so its a no brainer of course a dkz cam will need a thrust bearing

JR20516V

Thx for the reply Slo...............the XU10j2te does not have a thrust bearing in it. Have opened up 2 of them recently and nope....no thrust bearing.

So my question remains.... if a motor does not have a thrust bearing does it need one when putting in a cam from a car that does run a thrust bearing ?

The reason i ask.....a kind member on here a few weeks ago has Pm'd me saying watch out as he put the thrust bearing in to the turbo lump along with the 205 's cam and on a start up one day it actually snapped the cam and stuffed the end cap to boot.

welshpug

Depends on the cam, whether it has the shoulders on the end bearing or not, if they dont then it does need the locating piece.

as for the cam snapping, not likely to be from that but the caps being fitted incorrectly.

JR20516V

Thx for that info Welshpug !! I prefer not to take the motor half apart to check if it has shoulders on the end bearing or not. Do 205 cams have the shoulders off hand ?