• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
omri617

Swapping Only Fifth Gear (1.6) To Be4 ?

omri617

Hello ,

I run a standard 1.9 engine with 1.6 gearbox . i like all 4 gears but when it gets to the fifth , its too short. I run my car as my daily driver.

I was thinking , Can I take the 5th gear only from this gearbox (BE4) seller says it came out from a Berlingo 2001/2 he can't remember 1.9DIESEL. and swap it with my 5th in the 1.6 Box ?

Thanks

post-19435-0-51993100-1415395311_thumb.jpg

alync406

I think the be4 5th gear has a collar on the gear so is longer than the 5th gear that is the box you have so may not fit. You may be able to get it machined to fit if you would want to go that route. You would want to check the splines are the same too as the be4 can have different splines on the inside of the gears comparing to be3.

Miles

As above, also the bush's are different dia's so it's not as easy as just swapping them over on the input shaft

omri617

Thanks for the answers , which gear could be a donor of 5th gear to fit easily ?

Toddy

I used an Mi16 gearbox 5th gear set, does make it something like 22mph per 1000rpm, which is a big gap.

Contact Miles for the parts.

Edited by Toddy

Miles

The N/A 205 Derv is best, the Mi's although the same ratio use the different bush, I don;t have any left I'm afraid

petert

Thanks for the answers , which gear could be a donor of 5th gear to fit easily ?

The gear you want is the 0.800:1 from an Mi16x4, and possibly others. The normal Mi16 fifth is 0.76:1, which makes too much of a gap. Otherwise, just accept what you have! It's really not revving that hard.