• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stu8v

Vts Steering Rack.

dobboy

I haven't looked under dash as i'm manky and didn't want to go inside car if i don't need to.

I take it there's a clamp under dash.

I thought it was just splines that held it.

Can i fit the rack just now, then fit column when i'm a bit cleaner?

Thanks

dobboy

Thats it on. Wont be doing that again in a hurry.

UJ is a bit close for comfort on grommet too, think i can feel slight resistance from it with no wheels on.

Will put some vaseline on grommet.

dobboy

Think the cause of resistance was a pipe i had cable tied to the sub frame.

For reference, that was a splined non pas Ph1.5 removed, and a 205 square drive fitted on to a VTS rack. I never made any adjustment to upper rack. And it seems to fit straight on, albeit there is no tolerance to work with. It's precision stuff. I managed to fit it all from an empty engine bay with TRE and rods fitted.

Thanks everyone.

dobboy

Anthony, can you tell me when you've used the 205 lower column on the VTS rack, have you managed fit a gator to cover the UJ?

I never fitted one, and space was very tight but i'm thinking i should have something to stop the UJ getting 5hitted up?

Anthony

Anthony, can you tell me when you've used the 205 lower column on the VTS rack, have you managed fit a gator to cover the UJ?

I never fitted one, and space was very tight but i'm thinking i should have something to stop the UJ getting 5hitted up?

Yes I fitted one on mine that removed from an early 205 spline column, although it's probably not really needed - after all, Peugeot didn't fit one as standard and the UJ's have survived pretty well over 20+ years.

It's not the best picture, but you can see it fitted here:

IMG_4658.sized.jpg

• Like 1

dobboy

Just looking at service box

If i'm reading this correct there are two bulkhead type grommets

4152 48 PAS steering

4152 47 Non PAS

It looks like the non pas also has a gaitor listed for the UJ as 4151 03, but i don't see any for the PAS UJ (which i assume is what i'm after).

Would i be correct in thinking the bulkhead grommet for PAS would maybe give a little more space between grommet and UJ? (perhaps shaped differently)

dobboy

Thanks Anthony, i had the gaitor from my splined one fitted but i ended up cutting it off off as space was very tight.

If you see the message above re: service box, maybe the PAS bulkhead grommet might be best suited?

dobboy

Been trying to think of a way to get my vts rack (2.6) centralised.

If it's 2.6 turns lock to lock it should be 1.3 from centre to either L or R?

If so, if i turn to full lock say left, removed steering wheel and put it back on with GTi badge pointing downwards to 8 o clock (1/3 of a full turn) would that be it very close?

Also, what's the implications of 309 arms on the TRE to TRE length v's 205 wishbones TRE to TRE length?

I'll get it all set up correctly by SOS but would prefer to drive there with both front wheels pointing the same way.

TIA

dobboy

Can anyone tell me any way that i can set my TRE's up so that when i'm taking the car to be aligned one wheel doesn't point to Glasgow and the other Edinburgh?

I'm not expecting it to be perfect but somewhere in the ball park would be good.

It's VTS rack, new rods, and new TRE's and i've fitted 309 wishbones too.

I have my 205 rack handy (complete) if i need to take any measurements of what it was like before changing stuff if it's any use.

Tia

Tom Fenton

Centre the rack on steering wheel turns, then adjust each side to point each wheel straight forward as judged by eye. Then take it to the closest place who have tracking gauges.

• Like 2