• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rams_gti6

Going From Gti6 Back To 1.9 Then Adding Carbs Maybe Bodies.

rallyeash

Build an 1.8 16v alloy block engine with an RS head.

Machine pistons if needed, some fast road cams, GTi6 exhaust mani and bodies or the RS inlet.

dcc

Why would you ruin the engine with a rs head!?

• Like 1

rallyeash

Why would it ruin it?

koti

I'm just putting the 1.9 8v back in mine- 1.6 pistons, newman ph4 cam, 45 webers and standalone ecu for ignition with a 1.6 'box. Just waiting on a crank seal and gearbox input shaft seal, then engine can go back in and I can get ecu fitted

Realistically it'll prob be a month or so til it's properly set up and on the road- once it's sorted you're more than welcome to have a go in it for comparison...it's not as if you're a million miles away!

• Like 1

blandy

Interesting read. Any more comparisons?

Dcc what is yours like compared to a gti6 as your running a fair bit more with your set up?

dcc

I had a 100% standard gti6 on bodies, made 165whp when being mapped. It was a fast car, pulled to the limiter with ease.

My tuned 8v was about 10whp shy of the standard gti 6. The difference on the road and daily driving is quite noticable. The gti6 was refined and easy to drive. The 8v is a handful. The gearboxes were the same but the diffs were different. Plate in the 8v's box and atb in the 16v. But after doing a trackday in the 8v you get to appreciate the different styles of driving you take with a lighter front axle. I was having hilarious fun driving the 8v. I didnt get the same feeling with the heavier 16v. (Plus the smugness when people find out its an 8v after they were discussing how good that 'gti6 on bodies' sounded ;) )

• Like 1

Reebmit

8 valves for me, I was wondering when people would start converting back. I'm a bit old school and like modified 8 valves with cam, head and 45s.... loved fords with modded Pinto's, cross flows, Lotus Twinks etc... will never match a 16v but have a character of their own :)

allanallen

If you like an engine to have character try an mi16 ;)

• Like 1

petert

I'd never go back to an 8V in anything but a minter. I recently had the privilege of driving a friend's XU9J4 205 track car. It was a breath of fresh air after my XU10J4 powered car. A well built alloy 16V on throttle bodies with close ratios a low diff is blood curdling.

allanallen

I'd never go back to an 8V in anything but a minter. I recently had the privilege of driving a friend's XU9J4 205 track car. It was a breath of fresh air after my XU10J4 powered car. A well built alloy 16V on throttle bodies with close ratios a low diff is blood curdling.

My sentiments exactly!

I had a go in a 205 mi a friend bought recently, rebuilt ally block, some kind of aftermarket cams and 1600 box with 4.44f/d. It was absolutely fantastic, the noise, the power delivery, perfect engine in a 205 for me :)

dcc

Calvin sort your brother out. Hes turning gay. 16Vafp ;)

• Like 1

calvinhorse

He's not my brother

8v TID

• Like 1

allanallen

Not being funny but I'm sure you two have actually kissed before?

• Like 1

calvinhorse

Yes that's right, it was next to our 8v peugeots so completely cancelled the gayness out

(No offence to gays btw)

• Like 1

allanallen

Two wrongs do not make a right.....

calvinhorse

So why have you doubled the oe amount of valves?

• Like 1

allanallen

Why are you putting a gti6 in your 205?

• Like 1

Tom Fenton

Why are you putting a gti6 in your 205?

Ha ha ha f***ing have some of that !!!!!!

calvinhorse

It's for Sarah init

• Like 1

blandy

So for a pure trackday car then people would still edge towards gti6/mi16 over a tuned 1.9 8v

What I'm looking at is say a tuned 1.9 to say 150bhp equal to a gti6 etc taking into account the lighter weight to account for the 17bhp less (in theory)

allanallen

So Sarah's gay??

Blandy, the 16v will be quicker, the lighter weight of the 8v will not make up for the extra power that the awesome, heterosexual, incredible 16v power houses have ;):P

It's your car though so do whatever the hell you want!

Tom Fenton

So for a pure trackday car then people would still edge towards gti6/mi16 over a tuned 1.9 8v

What I'm looking at is say a tuned 1.9 to say 150bhp equal to a gti6 etc taking into account the lighter weight to account for the 17bhp less (in theory)

For most folk it's simply down to money. You can drop a totally standard GTI6 motor in for circa £500 and have 170-ish bhp.

A 150bhp 1.9 8v is going to cost in the region of 3 to 4 times the money, to allow for an ECU, throttle bodies, and all the other good guy bits to get to 150 genuine bhp.

allanallen

This same thread on a VAG forum would be taking into account 'scene points' and 'kudos', most of us like going fast ;)

Que DCC with a vw 8v vs 16v video.... :P

Simes

Yep, can't beat it.

j_turnell

I wonder what it would take to reduce the weight over the front of a 6' to bring it closer to an mi/8v. What is the actual difference as there are a few figures floating around??