• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rams_gti6

Going From Gti6 Back To 1.9 Then Adding Carbs Maybe Bodies.

Rams_gti6

Thinking of swapping my gti6 engine for a 1.9 on some nice carbs and maybe a uprated cam. I'm just thinking the weight of the gti6 lump spoils the character that makes the 205 so special. The horsepower difference is obvious but the carbs will help to close the gap and the weight will be beneficial to the handling, making it quicker and more fun on track. Also seems to be more tuning options available for the 1900.

What's peoples thoughts or should I stick with the 16v?

welshpug

keep the gti6, its only 18 kilos.

Rams_gti6

10kg gone :-)

enginemount_zps5c212f58.jpg

Group buy? Lol... Can't believe that has saved 10kg! What did Peugeot make it out of?! Edited by Rams_gti6

Rams_gti6

Is that right only 18kg more? I thought I'd read it was 25-30 more...

welshpug

Just the block.

head is another 8 kilos iirc.

can't argue against the extra torque a standard gti6 has over even a tuned 8v, and carbs? yeeauuucchhhhh.

dobboy

Group buy? Lol... Can't believe that has saved 10kg! What did Peugeot make it out of?!

Old railway lines.

calvinhorse

A gti6 engine will get 35+ maybe even 40mpg if you wanted it to..

My 8v on 45s at it's very best was still less than 20mpg!

But! It sounds awesome and looks extremely tidy under the engine bay!

Even properly set up it won't go through emissions tho...

Edited by calvinhorse
  • Like 1

S@m

I've got some twin 40 webers on a good condition 8v with a cam and vernier pulley, buy them off me...................so i can go back to mi16.

Anthony

Thinking of swapping my gti6 engine for a 1.9 on some nice carbs and maybe a uprated cam. I'm just thinking the weight of the gti6 lump spoils the character that makes the 205 so special. The horsepower difference is obvious but the carbs will help to close the gap and the weight will be beneficial to the handling, making it quicker and more fun on track. Also seems to be more tuning options available for the 1900.

What's peoples thoughts or should I stick with the 16v?

I'm doing the same thing - will be pulling the GTi-6 out this winter and dropping an 1.9 8v back in.

The extra weight over the nose really impacted the way the car drove and handled for me, and whilst the extra performance is nice, it's not a trade off that's acceptable to me. I genuinely have no idea how people say that the weight isn't noticeable on comparatively soft road going springs/dampers.

Mind you, I prefer a TU-engined XS in many ways over a GTi as they drive so sweetly and feel wonderfully light and agile - compared to that, a GTi feels a bit nose heavy and inert, so it's perhaps no surprise that a boat anchor ruined the GTi for me.

That said, don't kid yourself into thinking that a carb'd 8v will be quicker than a GTi-6 on track, all else being equal. No chance it will.

I'd like to see someone weigh an 8v and weigh a GTi-6 on the same set of scales - I'm going to stick my neck out and say that there is NO way that it is 18kg difference between the two for a fully built, ready to fit engine. Possibly for an Mi, but an 8v will be a fair chunk lighter again.

A gti6 engine will get 35+ maybe even 40mpg if you wanted it to..

My 8v on 45s at it's very best was still less than 20mpg!

But! It sounds awesome and looks extremely tidy under the engine bay!

Even properly set up it won't go through emissions tho...

Nonsense - properly setup carbs will easily go through a non-CAT emissions test - remember, plenty of pre-injection "sporty" cars out there ran twin 40/45's as standard and would have been MOT'd yearly.

The problem is, from what I've seen, no one seems capable of setting carbs up properly - even so called "experts" make a pigs ear of it and they're usually running too large a choke chasing headline figures and making the light load fuelling horrible.

My old cammed 1.6 GTi on twin 40's sailed through MOT emissions. I didn't do enough miles in it to to get an average over several tanks, but from what I saw it seemed to do 30mpg ish on a run too.

Gman

Half tempted to put mine back to standard one of these days, after viewing a 1 owner 205 at the weekend that was ropey but is currently at 3,800 with 3 days to go! Mine was in far better condition and wouldn't take that much to put back to standard as I have all the parts.

Back to the question, put the battery in the boot and problem solved. I can't see it being any heavier up front than an 8v then.

Anthony

Have the car for what YOU want, not what would make it more valuable to sell (which I'm assuming you're not looking at doing anyway)

Low mileage, standard cars with history is where the money has been for years anyway.

I fear that the 8v might feel a bit slow after being corrupted by GTi-6 power - if it does, then I'll be dropping either an Mi or possibly a GTi-180 engine in it more than likely. The impact on value is of no odds to me until I decide to sell after all.

Edited by Anthony
  • Like 1

dcc

16vafp.

8V T I D. (obos)

• Like 1

S@m

16vafp.

8V T I D. (obos)

Then poof me up and buy this macho 8v from me. :lol:

dcc

I has macho enough 8v.

• Like 1

allye

From your opening post it sounds as though going quick around a track is the main goal here? A different objective to the needs of say Anthony. In that case the valver is your best option hands down.

I have to really disagree with the tuning options also. More is available for the 6.

S@m

I has macho enough 8v.

Phew, you wouldn't want rumours starting, plus i suppose that buying another would then add up to 16! :P

• Like 1

dobboy

Half tempted to put mine back to standard one of these days, after viewing a 1 owner 205 at the weekend that was ropey but is currently at 3,800 with 3 days to go! Mine was in far better condition and wouldn't take that much to put back to standard as I have all the parts.

Back to the question, put the battery in the boot and problem solved. I can't see it being any heavier up front than an 8v then.

I've got a 16V and had a shot of a standard 1.9 not so long ago, can safely say the 8v felt like a slug in comparison.

I've got a more or less complete 8v engine sitting with manifolds, alternator etc, and will have my new 16v fully built up in the next couple of weeks (if i can find some motivation), so i'll do a weigh in on them see what the difference is.

I suspect the built up 16V is significantly heavier from trying to move the engines about my garage, even the bare 16V feels heavier than the built up 8v.

I also notice a significant weight difference between the VTS box and a 1.9 BE3 box when shuffling them about.

Tom Fenton

Nonsense - properly setup carbs will easily go through a non-CAT emissions test - remember, plenty of pre-injection "sporty" cars out there ran twin 40/45's as standard and would have been MOT'd yearly.

Depends on the camshaft profile. In Calvins case I think it would be hard to get it to pass the test with the cam in it.

welshpug

yup, though a doddle on bodies.

Mac Crash

Roughly what are the 0-60mph times or 1/4 mile of a 205 equipped with a standard Mi and GT6? and is there any significant top end increase over an 8v 1.9? final drive allowing?

Low 15 second 1/4 mile, is that okay for a mildly tuned 1.9 8v? just looking for some comparisons...

calvinhorse

Please ignore my nonsense, if you go ahead with the carbs contact Anthony and he can put you in touch with his carb tuner

• Like 1

Anthony

Apologies, that did come across a little stronger than I had intended Calvin.

Point is though, short of a huge cam with massive amounts of overlap, there should be no issues getting carbs setup so that they will go through MOT emissions just fine - just for some reason, most tuners seem incapable of setting them up so that they will go through.

Of course, it should be no surprise that carbs can prove such a headache when plenty of tuners can't get ITB'd cars on proper management mapped in such a way that they'll go through emission, and that's a doddle comparatively as I'm sure you know. The tuning industry in this country has a lot to answer for frankly...

Rams_gti6

Thanks for the replies, posted this last night and it seemed to be a forum hand grenade!, the car is a track car and only that really. I could do with one to have a ride in to compare. Anyone near East Yorkshire?

stu8v

I'm doing the same thing - will be pulling the GTi-6 out this winter and dropping an 1.9 8v back in.

The extra weight over the nose really impacted the way the car drove and handled for me, and whilst the extra performance is nice, it's not a trade off that's acceptable to me. I genuinely have no idea how people say that the weight isn't noticeable on comparatively soft road going springs/dampers.

Mind you, I prefer a TU-engined XS in many ways over a GTi as they drive so sweetly and feel wonderfully light and agile - compared to that, a GTi feels a bit nose heavy and inert, so it's perhaps no surprise that a boat anchor ruined the GTi for me.

That said, don't kid yourself into thinking that a carb'd 8v will be quicker than a GTi-6 on track, all else being equal. No chance it will.

I'd like to see someone weigh an 8v and weigh a GTi-6 on the same set of scales - I'm going to stick my neck out and say that there is NO way that it is 18kg difference between the two for a fully built, ready to fit engine. Possibly for an Mi, but an 8v will be a fair chunk lighter again.

The problem is, from what I've seen, no one seems capable of setting carbs up properly - even so called "experts" make a pigs ear of it and they're usually running too large a choke chasing headline figures and making the light load fuelling horrible.

My old cammed 1.6 GTi on twin 40's sailed through MOT emissions. I didn't do enough miles in it to to get an average over several tanks, but from what I saw it seemed to do 30mpg ish on a run too.

IMHO its not the tuners its the people who wont pay what it costs to set them up correctly.

Unfortunately its not the tap of a keyboard its a strip and rebuild after every power run, plus having the physical parts depending on which way it needs to go.

Not quite as simplistic as it first appears.