• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
amusingadam

Gti Upgrades

amusingadam

Out of interest what would be the best way to achieve 160bhp out of a early 1.9 gti I'm not looking for turbos etc would like to keep it na.

Tom Fenton

Put an mi16 engine in it.

• Like 1

dcc

Take a look at my thread Adam, but basically a cam and higher compression. Then you have your choice of going down the bodies/carbs route, exhaust manifolds and of course the mapping.

160bhp from an 8v is pretty straightforward but you're looking at £3-4k or there abouts depending on how much you do yourself, if you use 2nd hand bits and if you build it.

• Like 1

amusingadam

Sounds a lot for 30 bhp I was really hoping to keep the 8v but makes no sense paying all that when you can buy a full mi16 ready to go for 2k only down side I've gone up against a few mi16s on road and track and have yet to be impressed the one local to us was built by spooxs (apparently) but I left that for dead and there were 3 at Donington on Sunday all faster than me but not by that much and they were a lot lighter.

dobboy

Get a quaife, thats a big nice upgrade

• Like 1

allanallen

Sounds a lot for 30 bhp I was really hoping to keep the 8v but makes no sense paying all that when you can buy a full mi16 ready to go for 2k only down side I've gone up against a few mi16s on road and track and have yet to be impressed the one local to us was built by spooxs (apparently) but I left that for dead and there were 3 at Donington on Sunday all faster than me but not by that much and they were a lot lighter.

Have a go in a good one

Edited by allanallen
  • Like 2

ALEX

Prices on the Spoox website seem a little on the high side.

Does anyone actually pay those prices?

mrfirepro

Prices on the Spoox website seem a little on the high side.

Does anyone actually pay those prices?

I guess this won't be a popular point of view (based on other comments I've seen) but I have bought several items from them for my build and whilst I agree, they may be a little more expensive than some items on eBay, they have them in stock, dispatch quickly and when I had an issue with a part that I was not quite happy with, they didn't quibble and refunded my money without question.

I would have no hesitation in using them again.

Edited by mrfirepro

boldy205

This goes to show theres other influences on how fast a car goes, not just the outright power, but how this gets to the tarmac, suspension, tyres bla bla bla,, and the person actually driving it. Yes it can be a lot of money to tune an 8V, I looked into t, thats why, like many others, I fitted an Mi16. However if I have a bit more money id personaly keep the original 8V and make it go faster.

ALEX

£58 for a stainless steel 304 4 brach exhaust manifold on ebay.

£1000 on spoox website!

Now I dont expect quality at £58 and from the feedback rating and coments id expect to have an hard time fitting it.

I belive in pay for what you get and thought something around £200 mark for decent quality. Not £1000.

Unless im missing something here?

scbond

£58 for a stainless steel 304 4 brach exhaust manifold on ebay.

£1000 on spoox website!

Now I dont expect quality at £58 and from the feedback rating and coments id expect to have an hard time fitting it.

I belive in pay for what you get and thought something around £200 mark for decent quality. Not £1000.

Unless im missing something here?

If the one Spoox sells is as it is in the picture then I'd avoid it no matter what the price is. There needs to be some form of flexibility in the exhaust system.

allanallen

There is a flexi in it.

ALEX

Do people actually justify paying over £1000 for part of an exhaust system?

dcc

Its funny that you can have a developed, well designed and proven exhaust for a similar price!

• Like 1

ALEX

Its funny that you can have a developed, well designed and proven exhaust for a similar price!

id expect the full system including fitting and lifetime guarantee.

allanallen

Yep! You could go to tony law or similar with dimensions/drawings from your engine builder and have a complete system built for that kind of money.

f*** nows where spoox get their prices from?!

Miles

They are just Maniflow items or where ever he gets the cheapest deal and 12 months warranty unless he sticks something on top

scbond

There is a flexi in it.

I was pretty sure they sent out whichever they have at the time. Picture on their site used to have no flexi in it.

allanallen

Pictures on site show a flexi, not as if it matters as you'd be mental to buy one anyway.