• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Reebmit

Lexan/poly Windows V Glass

Reebmit

Has anyone weighed the glass on a 205, is there much of a saving going plastic?????

calvinhorse

It's about half the weight, I seem to remember front windows are 4kg in glass and 2kg in poly

Have you checked in 'the definitive weight thread'?

• Like 1

Reebmit

Thanks Calvin, interesting, the rear probably significant too, thanks for reply. Will check out the weight guide as I've often wanted to know weights of parts... :)

Just had a quick look, great thread just what I was after, will have a proper look tonight :)

Edited by Reebmit

Miles

Not much in it, the rear screen is nothing, With some MSA spec lexan it's not worth the hassle

calvinhorse

The beauty of poly windows is you can remove all the winding mechanism too, so with the 6.1kg of side window glass and at least 4kg of mechanism that's over 10kg.. Pretty big saving in the side glass alone

I'd say the main problem is the £200+ price tag on a full set :o

Edited by calvinhorse
  • Like 1

petert

A 2400 x 1200 x 4mm sheet of polycarbonate is approx. AUS$190. I can't imagine the price being much different in the UK. That's a lot of windows.

welshpug

I doubt many will have a thermoforming machine in their garage :lol:

petert

I'm not sure why you'd bother forming them. As they're usually rigid in the door, they take the shape of the frame anyway. The rear hatch can be flat also. Buy a cheap jigsaw and cut!

JeffR

The only issue I see from a motorsport perspective is making sure they're all secured well-especially the rear screen. Speed & air pressure will test the fixings.

Is it possible to shape a polycarbonate screen by laying it over the glass & applying heat? Will it hold its shape?

It's something I've considered doing on my 405 race car since no one makes the front & rear screens anymore.

jackherer

I've only ever seen flat polycarboonate on 205s. The rears bond in place and stay there with no issues.

JeffR

I was referring to my 405 where the screens have a pronounced compound curve.

JeffR

Thanks for the link Kane. That's similar to the idea I had.

allanallen

The only issue I see from a motorsport perspective is making sure they're all secured well-especially the rear screen. Speed & air pressure will test the fixings.

Is it possible to shape a polycarbonate screen by laying it over the glass & applying heat? Will it hold its shape?

It's something I've considered doing on my 405 race car since no one makes the front & rear screens anymore.

We've done some impreza front windows by ratchet strapping them around a cylinder and applying heat with a gas space heater. It was a faff but it worked.

Decent cage permitting, fitting poly door windows allows you to remove the inner door skin as well.