• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
AlexRS2782

Aftermarket Gear Rods - Removal?

AlexRS2782

As per thread title, can the ones made by the likes of Miles / BBM, etc, be somewhat tricky to remove after being fitted for a couple of years?

Trying to remove a set on my Saxo VTS track car, but they're essentially the same as those used on the 205 with the ball joints, but even after removing the securing pin that goes through the end to hold it in place, they don't seem to want to budge. I would have thought that they should come off with a bit of pressure, but they seem to be pretty much stuck firm.

Is it going to be a case of spraying the ends with a fair bit of penetrating fluid to loosen them up and then give them a couple of firm taps to get them off?

welshpug

use an open ended spanner of appropriate size under it to lever them off.

camgti

As above, they can be a little tricky. Try to make them in a position that makes them pop straight off the ball. IE not sliding them off twisted.

Cam

AlexRS2782

CheeRS guys - hopefully give it another go on Monday and they'll come off this time :)

Once they're off it will just be the engine / gearbox to remove which should be fun as it will be my first attempt doing it - hopefully I wont injure myself too badly lol