• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dexter1002

Quaife Or 3J On Road Car

dexter1002

Right guys, I just want to clear this up. I've read a lot of threads now with people saying ATB is s**t and others saying it's good for a road car.

I now have the pennies to buy one but I just want a confirmation of which one to go for, plate or ATB. Car will be mainly used on the road with the occasional track day. I don't want the car to be hard work on the road when cornering, or any change to my steering,

Help would be greatly appreciated before I spend 600+ on one that I'm not going to be happy with.

Thanks,

Dexter

petert

If you have power steer, then 3J. If not, Quaife.

calvinhorse

3J

You won't be able to tell it's got a Queef, you won't be disappointed with a 3j

• Like 1

welshpug

I've driven a quickracked 3j'd 205 on the road, (dcc's 8v) a little heavy yes but not any more than my own car which has an ap suretrack atb diff, its about how they are setup more than anything.

dexter1002

Non PAS, was thinking of getting a quick rack in the coming months, so the verdict is 3J even without PAS?

Cheers

allanallen

Both will change your steering

dexter1002

3J also clunks doesn't it? I'd rather spend 600 on a diff I'm going to be happy with, than 600 on a quaife that is only stronger than standard and doesn't do a lot.

So many mixed opinions of the quaife, wish I could test the 2 haha.

dcc

I have PAS now. totally transformed the drivability of the car - by this I do mean as a if it were to be used daily, driven normally, with 2.4 rack and the close ratio box - the PAS wasn't essential, but when parking made a huge difference. The diff does clunk, only at very low speeds with very tight turns. I used some friction modified to prolong the life of the diff and reduce the plates chattering at the low speeds. I don't notice the diff unless you're pushing the car along a bumpy road, into a corner or if you're on/off the power quite sharp. if you bought a quaiffe then tried the plate style diff, you'd be disappointed (in my view - I have tried an ATB and then the plate diff in the same gearbox, night and day difference).

• Like 1

dexter1002

Well I think that's, that then.

Next question would be the setting, what would be the best set up for road use I.e ramp angles.

Thanks

Anthony

You'll want the mildest settings if you're not running PAS IMO (assuming it's like a Tran-X / Kaaz as I've not tried a 3J)

Even the mildest settings are pretty aggressive for a road going car.

wicked

I have a Kaaz without PAS, but also have driven a Quaiffe (with ~250bhp) on UK bumpy road; on local roads it's almost scary; biasing goes all over the place. (On smooth roads it's no problem)

I do prefer my own plate diff; just locks until you release the throttle; low speed corners/parking is a drawback, but I can live with it...

dexter1002

What's the problems with low speed and parking? Is it just heavy steering?

Cheers

welshpug

Apparently so, I didn't think so though

dexter1002

Looks like it's a 3J then, on the lowest set up.

Thanks for everyone's help, much appreciated!

rallyeash

I liked my Quaife, but I sold it and bought a tran X for the same money. Yes the plate is more aggressive but the Quaife still does a good job. I don't get why people say they make no difference?! Going from an open diff to a Quaife was very different.

Tom Fenton

Personally I'd run a Quaife on a fast road car and a plate in anything more serious. I put a Quaife in my Mi car many years ago and at the time it was the best thing I'd ever done to it. Power understeer gone replaced by drive into corners, much better. However it relies on compliant suspension and smooth driving to work. If you start hopping kerbs at a trackday then it's useless and a plate diff is then far better. I would fit a Quaife again to the right car.

dexter1002

This is driving me mad haha, I just can't decide now!

A Quaife should make some difference for the 660 that it costs, but having never driven a 205 with either a plate or ATB I can't make a judgement.

It's still 50/50 lol

Edited by dexter1002

allanallen

Plate all the way for me, much nicer to use with PAS but fine set lightweight without.

Most folk used to run road cars 45/45 lightweight, I know now a lot seem to be running 30/70 ish. What's yours set to dan?

Plate diffs also hold their value better second hand so if you didn't like it you could flog it on and buy a girls diff.... Sorry a quaife ;)

• Like 1

Biggles

I've got a TranX in my BE 'box and love it. Not driven anything with a Quaife in it but have driven other ATB's and hated them. That said, I think tyres make a BIG difference. The road tyres I have for my rally car are some Chinese make I've never heard of (came virtually unused on a set of wheels so thought they'd be fine as a road set) and TBH they should be banned from sale. In the dry they're so-so but add a touch of rain and they are lethal with hardly any grip at all - with the diff this means you get pulled all over the road. Put decent tyres on in the same conditions (A048's or even CR311's if it's not too wet) and you hardly notice the diff at all. I was concerned about the effect of the diff when I bought it (but for competition use it has to be plate so TranX it was) but went for lightweight spec - as it is, when it needs a rebuild, it'll probably be fully interlaced. Read into that what you will.

If it were me, I'd go for the 3J (essentially the next generation of TranX). (Probably better customer service too given what I've heard about Quaife.)

dobboy

I've got a Quaife in mines, and if I ever bought another 205 it would be the first thing I'd do.

I think they are amazing, wish I had bought it before the 16v conversion just to see how much better the 1.9 would generally have felt.

Also, be aware that the lifetime warranty isn't transferable on a second hand one.

I bought mines through my business to save on the dreaded VAT, if you know someone who can do the same it makes it more affordable.

Edited by dobboy

dexter1002

I bought one last year but never fitted it and sold it a week later as I was going to break my car. Now I'm getting it back on the road I want to buy something before the engine and box goes in.

Votes from both sides, seems plate has the wining vote so far

dexter1002

Unfortunately I don't know anyone that's in the trade that could claim the vat back for me. Shame really as it would make it a lot more affordable.

dobboy

Dexter, anybody with any type of business can do it for you, as long as Vat registered, (and could half justify buying something for a car in the very unlikelihood they ever had to.)

You don't claim the vat back, vat on expenditures gets offset on vat on sales, with the vat man getting the difference.

There is 4 times/dates a year when somebody would be more happier to do it for you, I.e. when they file their quarterly vat return.

With the quaife one you wouldn't know its in, there's no bumps/clunks/thumps, steering might be slightly heavier but im not sure.

A set of bearings and drivshaft seals and bobs your auntie.

wicked

For which engine do you want to use it? My experience mentioned above is both with boosted engines. With a NA engine you might have less problems with bumpy local roads.