• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
forbeslongden

How Easy/hard To Remove?

forbeslongden

Evening folks,

I've seen a GTi that takes my fancy, problem is, it's got a wide body on it that really isn't my thing.

My question is, how easy is it to remove the body kit? Is this GRP and just drilled on with the original panel under there? I'd want to turn it original again if possible.

Here are some images :

post-23672-0-05107700-1411411950.jpg

post-23672-0-03673500-1411411960_thumb.jpg

welshpug

I'd be steering clear of that unless the mechanicals are very good and its VERY cheap, with a view to binning that shell.

forbeslongden

Really? None of that crap come off? :(

welshpug

it'll come off but you bet there's going to be a mess underneath.

Goliath

It will, but expect a full respray and filler/bodywork needed after removing it, theres no telling how it was fitted!

MikeC

In all fairness that yoke is hideous in my opinion and best kept away from, but somebodies cup of tea all the same :blink:

hoodygoodwood

Max Power magazine has a lot to answer for - thank god its gone !

Try finding the front wings , front and rear bumpers and full set of side trims to revert it to standard .

hoodygoodwood

If you removed the Lexus lights , the whale tail spoiler and M3 mirrors then fitted a set of white Speedline SL434's on spacers you might get away with it - provided you ditch the subwoofer and under no circumstances play any drum and bass :blink:

Daviewonder

So what do you like about it? Once you take all the plastic crap off it's just gonna be a very tatty 205.

forbeslongden

Not much to be fair, I just thought if I could net it cheap, fit standard front and rear lights, sell off all the tat and those wheels, fit the leather fronts into my STDT and get some standard bits on it then sell it on. I don't really want the car, but the way it is now it'll probably be broken up by the next owner, more an empathy towards it I guess :P

2052NV

I would stay far away from that car..... juging by the mods done the owner cant have been the smartest so i woul dimagine the all the mods would have been carried out to a sub standard level. Those body kits are also great at hiding rust

Rams_gti6

Surely that air filter sucks in nothing but warm air from the manifold?

GLPoomobile

I don't understand why anyone would want to change a thing about that 205. It's so full of "win" it just can't get any better. Even the wording of the advert is like an A to Z of how to sell cars to Winners.

• Like 2

AlexRS2782

I imagine there would be a large number of nasty surprises behind that kit (if you managed to remove it without causing much ancillary damage) and none that would leave you with a cheap fix.

You have to love the fact that he has a "folder of history" for the car, but because it got wet he now only has some of it that he managed to salvage - read as destroyed / lost any receipts for stuff to cover up other issues.

I also love the way he (sorry his "dad") has admitted to filling the car with 2 stroke lol But don't worry, his "mechanic" will get it sorted by auction end - hmmmm, very believable.

And "no back seats that's been removed and has mdf in its place . This will need to be removed in my opinion it's heavy and will only slow the car down".

I think that's the least of the problems that will be slowing the car down.

stepples

Morning chaps, I have bought this. Very solid after inspection but there will be some big changes coming soon! Going to restore some pride.

Edited by stepples
  • Like 1

stepples

Progress will rely on cash and I will start a progress thread so free stuff first: strip the interior! Ditch the exhaust!

• Like 1

forbeslongden

I hope you're taking that kit off it too? Those wheels would probably fund a decent set of Speedlines too ;)

I'm glad somebody bought it - saves me having to step up to the plate that way!

stepples

I have always liked the idea of wide arches, it's very different and it means I can have a wider track! Thinking standard Gti alloys, will remove Lexus lights and investigate if standard front and rear bumpers will match up to the kit.

GLPoomobile

Standard bumpers won't line up with that kit. And standard 15" Speedlines will look terrible as they won't fill the arches even with a wider track. 16" Dimma split rims would work better, but good luck finding them. If it was me and I HAD to keep the wide arches I'd probably go for a motorsport look and put some white 17" lightweight multispokes on it, but then you have to carry that look through the rest of the car too or it just ends looking like a wannabe track car.

forbeslongden

I have always liked the idea of wide arches, it's very different and it means I can have a wider track! Thinking standard Gti alloys, will remove Lexus lights and investigate if standard front and rear bumpers will match up to the kit.

Have you thought about doing away with the kit and going down the route of the Rallye arch kit or the extended black arches that some 205's are going about with, I like the spirit of keeping the car similar to how you got it, but I feel that kit may hold back your options.

I agree with GLPoomobile though, Speedlines with that kit still on there will end up looking like those terrible shortened axle 'slammed' VW's that people think look amazing.

I'm with you in the respect that the exhaust and the Lexus lights removal is certainly the first steps to recovery :P

Edited by forbeslongden

stepples

Thanks for the advice and comments. This is gonna be a try and see but Motorsport 17s would be a good option and fit in with other plans. Wide arch track car was the route I was hoping to take.

dobboy

A new tailgate, new lights, different wheels and I think that will look ok!

Maybe even some PTS decals

I wouldn't eve attempt to take the kit off, I doubt you could ever get it straight

A grill and mirrors too

• Like 1