• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
slobberingant

Cam Oil Seal Removal

slobberingant

I'm trying to replace the camshaft oil seal on the cam belt side. The engine is in the car and it is a standard 1.9 gti.

The seal is simply stuck. I have a hook and pick set which can get a good grip on the seal itself but no human amount of strength can release it.

I have tried with a screw driver wedged in but the limited access on that side make it difficult.

I cannot imagine how one could follow the Haynes suggestion to make a hole in the seal to attach screws and remove that method. There is just not enough space.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to how to remove a severely stuck camshaft seal?

welshpug

Take the cam cap off

slobberingant

I had considered that. I take it I can push the seal out from the inside. Is this correct?

The three bolts on top of the cam cover have been removed but the cover itself didn't want to budge. It's probably held together with the same magic as the seal.

I will have another go of it. Do you have any suggestions as to how to take it off without damaging the seal?

welshpug

Give it a firm tap, never lever it as you risk damaging sealing surfaces, cam cover seals are readily available so I wouldnt worry about damaging it, especially if its gone hard and stuck.

cam seal can be pushed out with the cap off indeed, the screw method does work, plenty of space to get a 3mm self tapper into them.

slobberingant

Thanks for the help.

Hopefully I can be more persuasive with the rubber mallet. Glad to hear about the availability of the seal.

nick205

I'd replace the can cover seal as a matter if course when removing the cover.

slobberingant

I agree. My seal hasn't been replaced since I've owned the car so it would definately be due.

I wanted to save the seal because I wasn't sure if a replacement was still available.

Judging from the gasket material, I would have thought that the rubber seal was designed to be re-used a few times and not replaced everytime the cam cover is removed.

Tom Fenton

They go hard with age, new are readily available at about £10.

slobberingant

They go hard with age, new are readily available at about £10.

Ok. New rocker cover seal (0249 48) has been ordered from Peugeot. Should get it tomorrow.

post-12283-0-99972900-1411380758_thumb.jpg

I managed to get to rocker cover off and had to unbolt the cam cap to get access to the seal. After that, the seal just slid off.

I put the cap back on, torqued to 15nm and fitted the new seal.

Thanks again for the help.