• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
matty205xs

What To Do When Fitting Bonnet Pins? Help.

matty205xs

iv just bought myself some bonnet pins and I think im ok with marking them out but what should I treat the newly drilled holes in the bonnet with to stop them from rusting and how will I stop the paint from cracking or splitting on the bonnet when I drill the holes also what is a better option for holding the latches on the bonnet, screws or rivets?

thanks matt.

matty205xs

thanks for the quick reply, iv already seen that link but it doesn't tell you what to use to prevent the holes from rusting or how to prevent the paint from cracking or splitting,, have you got any answers that can help? :unsure:

thanks.

jackherer

I would put some masking tape down before drilling to prevent paint cracking etc then just use whatever primer and paint I had to hand as it wont be seen. I wouldn't spray something that small, just spray a bit in the cap of the can then use a small brush to paint the cut edge.

matty205xs

ok thanks, would hammerite or underseal be fine to paint the holes with, also what can I use to paint the whole underside of my bonnet with is hammerite or underseal ok for that too?

jackherer

I would use etch primer first then proper car paint, hammerite isn't really meant for cars.

matty205xs

right ok, I think iv got a touch up pen somewhere in a similar colour to my car. so ill primer the holes then use the paint and if iv got any ill put some lacquer on it too, would I need to use proper car paint for the whole underside of the bonnet too like an aerosol can paint? also what are better for the latches screws or rivets?

Edited by matty205xs

Tom Fenton

Whatever you use to fasten the catches on, get stainless. Plated screws or rivets will look manky very quickly. Small button head stainless bolts with nylocs underneath is a neat way.