• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dobboy

Bunging The Expansion Tank

dobboy

Hi, on the GTI6 conversion, what have people done to bung the 20/25mm(ish) pipe that exits from the top right near the cap (Ph1/1.5)?

I've currently bent the pipe/put a kink on it, and fired on a few cable ties whilst trying to think of an aesthetically pleasing solution, but i've been loosing a bit of water via that pipe at high temps and know i best attend to it sooner rather than later.

I thought about putting on a glue lined heatshrink cable cap, but not sure it would be man enough.

Heard of some forcing in a big bolt.

Are there any other options?

TIA

allye

Can use a length of pipe with a bolt in the end jubilee clipped. There is some sort of bung available as my v6 has one, peugeot or not mi couldn't say I'm afraid.

• Like 1

Miles

BX's and a few TD's had the bungs and no doubt a few more, Not cheap from Pug but most Silicone hose suppliers sell blanking bungs of various Dia's

• Like 1

dobboy

thanks....

a bolt and a jubillee is ingenuity!

any other ways?

Redtop

Ah don't be using a bolt and a jubilee clip! That's a really rash temp way to do it!! You can either put on a silicone stop end like this link.

http://www.viperperformance.co.uk/productsearch.php?xscId=10097

Or you can get proper pipe stop ends in aluminium, if you want it to look like your running the pipe somewhere neatly and then put one of these proper stop ends on it that won't blow off or leak, due to having a proper barb. I have used both these types on various things and I have had a fair few parts off these guys with excellent service/prompt delivery to Northern Ireland as well!

http://www.viperperformance.co.uk/productsearch.php?xscId=10098

• Like 1

dobboy

Thanks redtop. I don't think the 1st one would work, and I'd probably still need to jubilee the 2nd one, which is ok.

Remember ther is a fair bit of pressure when the water/engine temp is up.

Redtop

Oh you still use 1 good quality jubilee clip with both options listed, just with the location you can either put the silicone one on, or route the pipe to somewhere discrete with the second option. I've seen it done with bolts and a short bit of pipe and 2 jubilee clips, as mentioned above, but it's right in your face when you open the bonnet, and looks nasty imo.

welshpug

I just used a standard peugeot supplied bung, have a hunt on servicebox, 405 airbox and rear water pump inlet manifold iirc, diesel models, probably many more

Paul_13

I stuck a bolt covered it sealant in there. Then used a blanking cap and jubilee over the top.

Been like it for years.

It's held with a blown hg which has been pressurising the coolant system like f***

dobboy

Thanks all. I like the barbed blank/jubilee option, so will go with that.

allanallen

M@tt used a piece of broom handle, coolant used to bubble through the wood when it was up to temperature ;):P

• Like 1

boldy205

Just get a proper one from a pug dealer, no more than a couple of £.

Stu

Has anyone got a part number for this elusive bung though? I've been using a length of hose and a dumpvalve bung in mine for years but would like a more oe looking solution...

Dizzee stuff

I used a silicone blanking cap with a crimp on clip, see ebay item number 190884491955, very neat and tidy.

boldy205

Not sure of PT No, but a quick trip to annoy the man on the parts desk worked for me. I still enjoy the confusion they have when its the 'wrong' engine for the car!:-P

chipstick

Checked through my receipts and I'm pretty sure it's part number 135504

• Like 1

dobboy

Thanks 135504 looks like it could be the right part No. as its a plug towball.

Did you cut the pipe and insert it in? or does it slip over the outlet?

(If i can i want to avoid cutting the pipe as i've kept all my pre-conversion gear in case i ever have a change of heart.)

chipstick

The outlet has a metal inner core bit that protrudes. I cut that metal bit off and it just slid over with a hose clip added.

For reference - I paid £1.98 in 2011 for it. At the same time I paid £17.95 for a red strip for the front bumper but put off buying one for the rear. Missed the boat :angry:

welshpug

The metal core shouldn't protrude.

cheesegrater

I'm almost certain mines a piece of original hose with bit of fuel hose pushed over a bolt which is then inserted in to the original. Does this make me a bad person

dobboy

Well, I've ordered the bung and should arrive shortly. My revised temporary measure (bolt up the pipe) is holding up fine but I was still loosing water from the overflow pipe associated with the cap.

So had a look on service box and noticed the cap for a gti6 is rated at 1.4bar, and I think mines (205) was old and only rated at 1bar.

So renewed it with a standard 1.3bar new cap and it looks like my problems solved, the fan kicks and drops water temp down before the cap releases water through overflow.

dobboy

FFS someone tell me what's happening with my water.

Went a blast today, came back, let it cool, checked water and it took 1.5L.

I then bled it again, and the fookin bolt sheered!

Fortunately, had a spare, so fitted it, refilled and bled.

Went out another blast, got the temps up, stopped, and heard both fans running.

Came home, parked up, and could hear the water bottle bubbling like a kettle, and it spat 1/3 cup of water out the overflow pipe.

I've checked my oil, and all looks fine.

Anyone any ideas what's going on?

What's the symptoms of a dodgy Tstat?

Tia

Paul_13

HG failure?

Mines gone recently with no sign of mayo

welshpug

quite likely, its getting more and more common on these and you're best off doing it asap before that one bore is shot, usually is number 4 near the water pump.

rare do they actually mix the oil and water due to where they tend to leak.

dobboy

Thanks, you've made my day!

How would water behave with a dodgy Tstat?