• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ATK

Speaker Upgrade Direct Fit Recommendations

ATK

Want to replace the front speakers (and rears maybe) to something better, any recommendations?

Must involve NO modifications at all and must be a direct fit for the existing factory speakers!

Cheers all

Hheppy

I remember wiring in my technics hi-fi speakers and fixing them in the boot!! Boy racer days!

Hang on, I've still got those speakers in the loft...........................................

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Weser

Front door speakers are 13cm so you should be able to fit something fine. I upgraded mine in an old car to standard sony 13cm speakers. sat behind the original grill fine.

m@ttc

Looked into this myself, and I think the best thing to do is look for any quality manufacturer and buy their 13 inch version. Just make sure there not deep types I've herd as they might be to close to door skin ( which I guess fall out on paint )

With 13 inch speakers it will be hard to notice sound quality amongst the range out there. So I don't see the point on spending loads of money on expensive ones.

Think I may stay with Sony that's in there I brought for £70 many moons ago.

2052NV

The rear speaks are a strange size are they not? i have some 4 inch ones in the rear which are crap sounding and too deep so the cover does not fit on properly :angry:

scbond

Pretty sure the rears are 13cm...that's what I have in there.

ATK, which speakers to get really depends on a lot. If you want a slight upgrade to the factory fitted speakers then a good brand pair of coaxial speakers with just over 100W power rating should do just fine. Don't get caught up too much on the power rating though. However, if you want much better quality and better power then start looking at component speaker...they will take modification if your setup is standard though (headunit, wiring etc.).

GLPoomobile

Both front and rear are 13 cm (5.25").

Things to look out for are speaker basket depth and protruding tweeters. Too deep and they aren't going to fit in the space behind (this is a particular issue with the rears) and if they have a protruding tweeter mounted on them (as many do these days) then it's likely you won't get the grill to fit back in place. So with that in mind you are best looking for something tottaly non fancy, just a good old basic coaxial speaker with a plain old single cone and no bulls*it.

The rears can be squeezed in through the hole with the grill removed - just - providing the new ones aren't too deep. But you may find you need to start removing some of the trim to get it in if the speaker you choose is that little bit too big/fussy.

Also worth checking that nobody has dicked around with the mounting locations before you actually buy anything. Some twat has utterly mullered the door skins on mine when they fitted some 6.5" speaker up front. absolutely laughable as they fitted some very expensive 2 way components (I forget the brand, but they were sort of entry level audiophile sort of stuff), but they cut the hole out bigger and it's all raggedy like they used a tin opener, and then the midrange speakers were all loose as they couldn't screw them down properly. so a few hundreds quids worth of speaker fitted like s*it, and my doors for ever more ruined.

Anthony

Careful, as the rear cutout, whilst nominally 13cm, is actually a little smaller than the front and as a result some 13cm speakers don't fit the rear because they're too wide. I only discovered this after buying the speakers... :angry:

This is in addition to the mounting depth and tweeter height limitations mentioned above. by GLP.

• Like 1

scbond

Careful, as the rear cutout, whilst nominally 13cm, is actually a little smaller than the front and as a result some 13cm speakers don't fit the rear because they're too wide. I only discovered this after buying the speakers... :angry:

This is in addition to the mounting depth and tweeter height limitations mentioned above. by GLP.

That's a good point actually as I noticed the holes were a tad smaller but the mounting holes were in the right place.

I did also notice that the screws needed are larger than some speakers come with so may be worth keeping the old ones.

Gman

Standard 13cm speakers, as said, are what you need. However, when choosing the rears, make sure you don't go for something with a protruding tweeter as this can sometimes get in the way of the plastic grill.

To be honest, I wasn't overly impressed after swapping the standard units out for new ones. You simply can't get the base from small speakers, but perhaps I need to try a better head unit as my current one is from ca. 1995!

Up to you, but I wouldn't spend much on speakers if keeping them standard size.

GLPoomobile

Well I didn't know that! That's a useful snippet to file away in the memory banks :)

iPlod999

Want a bit of base?

Put a sub in the boot. :)

20140808_145751_zps2j8ejgfa.jpg

Edited by iPlod999

sp_en_ny

I replaced the fronts with MTX thunder 6000 series, 13 cm and sound ok for the price, I also have these powered by an amp, Any 13cm speaker will struggle playing some base when you crank the volume and likely to blow, I have 2 12" subs in the boot of my CTI to handle that, with it all combined sounds very nice......A decent head unit will always helps, cant go wrong with an Alpine unit but they are generally a bit more expensive, or invest in a decent amp, don't have to be big and powerful just something to power the speakers instead of a cheap head unit.

Edited by sp_en_ny

mrfirepro

Alex,

I used these ones for front and back

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pioneer-TS-G1321I-Dual-Cone-13cm-5-25-Car-Coaxial-Speakers-200-Watts-/351033935607?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item51bb40c6f7

There is nothing that is plug and play, you can either use the connectors that come with the speakers and splice them into the existing cable or mount the OE connectors on the speakers like this

P1040701_666x500.jpg

P1040579_666x500.jpg

If you mount the OE connectors you will have to drill a small hole in the new speaker webbing

Have not connected them to a head unit or fitted any interior bits to them as yet.

speaker fitted in door

P1040002_666x500.jpg

Good luck..

Edited by mrfirepro

mowflow

Which ones, how did they fit and how is the sound?

Want to upgrade mine while its stripped.

ATK

I fitted these:

Fronts - Alpine SPG-13C2

Rears - Alpine SXE-1325S

Pretty good sound, not the loudest but then again I'm running the standard Clarion tape deck. A worthwhile upgrade, nice amount of bass now.

mowflow

Brilliant, cheers for that.

dobboy

I recently fitted pioneer TS1302i to front

TS1321i to rear.

No fitting issues at all.

Front speakers sound significantly better, a lot clearer, as I expected.