• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
James Cornell

Tough Nut!

James Cornell

I was taking my driveshafts out last night for an engine rebuild and the O/S came off ok but the N/S was so tight that it did this...

post-24024-0-22634600-1406108460_thumb.jpg

That is a full size 1/2" Halfords Professional breaker bar...damn that tight :-)

jackherer

Did you do that with just the breaker bar itself or did you use a tube or something to give extra leverage?

Tom Fenton

The cheap breaker bars don't last forever, I've bust a few in the past.

James Cornell

Big tube for extra leverage but I am still amazed at how bloody stubborn the thing is....lucky for me it is a lifetime guarantee one so they can give me a nice shiny new one :-)

jackherer

Don't tell Halfords you were using a tube, I'm pretty sure it says "DO NOT USE EXTENSIONS" on the side of them!

James Cornell

I am going to tell them I as undoing my wheel nuts and it snapped, I'll go In my work clothes (shirt/trousers) and play dumb :-)

cheesegrater

Impact gun FTW!

Rich_p

I'm going to have the same issue with my driveshaft nut. We couldn't budge it last time so ended up taking of the whole hub and shock at the same time!

jackherer

I've never had trouble with a 205 hubnut but for some reason Alfa ones have caused me all sorts of issues. We did one with a cutting torch in my mates garage and managed to do it without damaging the wheel bearing which we didn't expect. The second time I was at home so I drilled the nut several times at it's thinnest point which was actually easier than using the Oxy Acetylene cutter.

unariciflocos

Impact gun FTW!

I second that. Got an 850 Nm Hazet a month ago and it's amazing. Any suspension job now takes less than half the time.

James Cornell

I've got a Clarke 24v impact wrench but it did not touch it...I've replaced the bar and got a massive one now so let's see what happens tonight ...

Tom Fenton

If its that tight you may well just break another bar. As mentioned above carefully drill a couple of holes opposite each other down the side of the nut then a good wallop with a decent chisel will split the nut and you can wind it off with your fingers.

farmer

I have super sized tractor set to deal with them.

The bars are about double the thickness of normal breaker bars.

• Like 1

Anthony

Halfords 1/2" breaker bars aren't great - I think I've broken about 4 or 5 now over the years without using an extension pole, although usually I break the casting of the bar around the pivot rather than the 1/2" drive part that you have.

(and as anyone that's met me will confirm, I'm hardly exactly a muscle bound hulk!)

Never had an issue getting them replaced under warranty, but it's a bit frustrating.

unariciflocos

It will still be a half inch square taking all the force... unless you've gotten a one inch 32 socket.

Miles

Either the impact gun or oddly the 1.6 ones seem the worst my Torque multi plier, never use 1/2" stuff on these for that reason I;ve broken loads in the past, beware thou sometimes the splines rust into the hub's

Slo

I broke a small extension tightening mine up using a 306 beam on the end of the breaker bar, thought the threads had given way at first then when i did the other side it just fell off as i nipped it up

Kane

Exactly the same happened to me! I ended up using a cordless and small drill bit to drill into one side of the hub nut. Then increasing the drill bit size until it was large enough to fit a large flat headed screw driver in, I whacked it with a hammer a good few times and eventually it came off.

The biggest pain is the fact I spent a couple of hours with the breaker bar etc only to end up breaking tools where it only took me a matter of 10 minutes or so with the cordless

Slo

I found these hub nuts hard to replace unless i want to buy a bag full

Kane

I was lucky enough to have a few spare so drilling wasn't a problem but as you say if you don't have any spare maybe best getting an impact gun for the job

James Cornell

Well I have had a result with the new massive breaker bar and I have got the nut off so onwards with the engine rebuild!

welshpug

I found these hub nuts hard to replace unless i want to buy a bag full

dozens in each breakers yard..

Slo

yeah but they are already staked, ive resorted to swapping sides on mine so i can restake em

dealer wants £17 odd for a bag of five

Edited by Slo

welshpug

oh you mean the 1.6 or base model nuts, readily available at motorfactors

Slo

they all tell me round here sorry mate dealer only things like that, though one did say bring one in and we might be able to match it up