• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mowflow

07 On Hdi Engines

mowflow

In a moment of uncharacteristic generosity I offered to buy the wife a new (used) car.

I bought her a xsara Picasso 2.0hdi last year as a stop gap. Despite being long in the tooth, unloved by all its previous owners and having more knocks and bangs than a Thai whore she absolutely loves it. So much so she is adamant she wants the new version.

The c4 Picasso of about 2008 seems to come in 2 flavours. 1.6hdi and the much rarer 2.0hdi. Both appear to be shared with ford. From what I can tell the 1.6 is a dog. The 2.0 seems to be less prone to issues but they all come with the auto box. It turns out this has a DMF and the only one we test drove it was definitely on the way out.

Does anyone have any experience of these engines/boxes/models? Internet searches have a tendency of only throwing up the bad.

nick205

Can't comment on long term reliability, but I had a Volvo V50 for a short while as a company car. This had the same 1.6 diesel engine shared with ford and pug and in V50 guise with start/stop. Have to say it was a cracking little motor at 115bhp, it pulled nicely and was very light on fuel. Very easy 65 mpg on the motorways.

welshpug

it wont have dmf and auto box

mowflow

It's the EGS box. Does that make a difference? I'm sure I read about failures of DMFs on EGS boxes fitted to the 1.6HDi. I just figured the box would be the same.

Tom Fenton

Auto boxes don't have dual mass flywheels, not on any vehicle.

mowflow

I don't want to try to teach my granny to suck eggs here, both of you guys know a hell of a lot more than me and I'm obviously only going on unknowns on the internet which is never a good idea.

One of the cars I walked (ran) away from made this exact same noise.

The video was linked from this thread about a DMF failure on a 2.0hdi with EGS. I'm sure EGS is a computer controlled manual box the same as SMG etc.

http://c4owners.org/plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?167490

The car was awaiting prep and had "check DMF" written on the windscreen along with several other issues. The salesman said he thought it was an engine mount :)

DMF or not. Just scratching the surface of issues with this box I think I'm going to avoid it like the plague.

welshpug

its not an "auto" gearbox is it ;) they have torque converters anf flex plates.

the automated manual gearboxes from psa have always been troublesome, but you cant avoid the dmf any more, theyre on everything with a decent amount of torque.

Edited by welshpug

Tom Fenton

Its not an auto then is it, its a clutchless manual which is different.

S@m

Definitely avoid EGS boxes, the actuators give no end of issues and even when they are 100% working correctly they are terrible jerky things, as said above it just a manual with some computer controlled actuators that operate the clutch and the gear selectors for you, and not very well i might add.

The 2.0 hdi engine is very good though, with a manual box or a conventional auto it is a fine choice. The 1.6 hdi isn't really as good an engine but is my no means a dog, it is by far the most common engine in all PSA vehicles these days and they've ironed out many issues.

DMF's are largely unavoidable, it is worth noting that motaquip do them for fairly reasonable (by DMF standards) prices but its still a hefty blow.

Edited by Sam306

mowflow

Okay, I said auto when I meant automated manual. Potato potato (that doesn't work so well when it's written down). Sorry.

I've had a few cars with DMFs and no issues so they don't scare me that much. What scares me is anything with a widely reported expensive fault. I've just read the Citroen didn't even cover this part under their warranty on new cars. So they either thought it would never fail or was going to fail every couple of miles.

Cheers for the help and the education. So old fashion autos can't have a DMF then. Every days a school day :)

jackherer

Slightly off topic but how does the law see them? Can you drive an automated manual car on an automatic driving license?

aldworth33

Iv done plenty of work on the 1.6hdi engines at a previous employer and in my opinion the aren't very good, the 3 fiesta vans they had all had major issue after major issue. The manual gearboxes in those stood up well but pretty sure the ford and citroen boxes are different. Can only comment the air and fuel filters are a tad awkward to change too