• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mrfirepro

1.6 Into 1.9

welshpug

yep, Dan's 205 is a road car, full interior, leccy windows, I've driven it a few times and its great :D

adjustable FPR's are more trouble than they're worth, if you need more pressure just swap for a higher rated unit, or get it mapped properly.

Mac Crash

... roll on 20 years later, damn it I believe you but in the interests of this man's thread can we recommend him the BP 270 with his humble OE 1.9? :)

welshpug

yup, pretty sure that's what is in my engine, fitted it ages ago though :lol: I'm on MP3.1.

mrfirepro

itb's ?????

MP3.1 ??????

Don't worry about my thread it's interesting reading.

It's all a bit "egyptian" to me. Happy to change the cam and as you say it sounds great, but dont really want to get into the realm of mapped ECU's, different compressions, variable FPR's.

Can I just put in a different cam? without doing anything else, what are the benefits

If so just tell me what cam and from where (I know BP 270, but there just numbers to me)

thanks

is this the sort of cam --

P16BP270 from Piper Cams Edited by mrfirepro

Stu

ITB's = 'individual throttle bodies' or bodies as they are generally referred :)

MP3.1 = The later stock engine management system that does away with the airflow meter, if you look at Welshpugs content theres a rundown of his converted car :)

As for fitting the cam, it'll need shimming as per any cam install upon rebuild, but other than that its not an overly aggressive profile so doesnt 'need' anything else to work.

mrfirepro

I have noticed on the different heads I have taken apart that some of the cam fixings seem to have a retaining washer(sort a crescent shaped) and some not. The reason I ask is that I have a choice of two heads, one of each type.

I'm not sure I'm being clear but if you understand what I mean, will this make any difference to the cam I buy?

welshpug

the earlier heads use the retaining piece, where later ones use the flywheel end journal for lateral location iirc, aftermarket cams tend to come with both types catered for but still worth checking.

mrfirepro

Thanks WP, are the heads identical? if I have the option of both, is one better than the other?

I guess I'd go for the newer type if there are no differences in the head...

Edited by mrfirepro