• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
analog_addict

Wheel Arch Rust

analog_addict

I started filing a small patch of rust when some underseal came loose. I pulled away all of the bubbling underseal and found a substantial rust patch. What's the best way to deal with this? It's all still solid, I've put some kurust on it for the time being.

Is it worth trying to fix this 'properly' and removing all the rust? Or should I just 'treat' it and give it a good protective top coat?

WP_20140706_006_1.jpg

Edited by analog_addict

analog_addict

Uncovered some more rust...

WP_20140709_004.jpg

​

Kane

If you're wanting to keep the car for any length of time I'd be taking it back up bare metal, cutting out any bad rust that's there and replacing with fresh steel.

The first photo looks to only be some surface rust but best to remove more of the surrounding underseal to confirm it hasn't spread. Light rust like that should remove fairly easily with quick going over with a fine grit flap wheel. If there is any surface rust left a coating of kurust and then paint should do the job.

The second photo however looks a fair bit worse than the first and from what I've found previously is that products like kurust don't really have any effect on heavily pitted/rusted areas. Your best bet again is to strip off any surface coat surrounding the area then you'll have a better idea the full extent of the damage. Then the only real repair that'll last is to remove the damaged sections of steel and weld in a new section using 1.2mm steel.

welshpug

Thats a lower dashboard and soundproofing out job there.

analog_addict

Thanks for the replies. For the time being I've removed as much loose rust as possible and used Kurust/Hammerite/Underseal on the areas. I don't have the tools/time/skill to fix this properly at the moment.

I have a mate who has done this type of repair before but it wasn't a quick process and my 205 is my daily driver for work!

I'll have to start putting my feelers out for someone who can do the work quickly for me.

Slo

Can't you buy a temporary banger while the works is done or even borrow a car to commute? Can't see that being done in a day or two and there could be more rot elsewhere.

And even though youve hidden it its only going to get worse.