• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
iPlod999

You Mend And Rebuild. I Clean.

iPlod999

Hello people.

I always read rebuild topics with great interest and even a hint of jealousy. The Laser Greens of cRaig and Tom recently spring to mind.

Coming into the summer season I decided to give my 205 a good going over.

Here's how we started.

output_zpslmawh71q.jpg

Absolute filth. well to me anyway. ;)

Light rain and summer dust.

output_zpsuxymkb9a.jpg

So out with the recently purchased Nilfisk to go perfectly with AB Snow Foam and lance.

output_zpsyzdxsnya.jpg

No Snow Foam Pic!!

A different car.

DSC_0016-3_zpsd2e354f0.jpg

While the Snow Foam is soaking in doing it's stuff lets get on with the wheels.

output_zpshrum8sah.jpg

Hot Wheels Wonder Wheels is my choice here.

This easily breaks down brake dust and grime. Colour changing as it does it.

output_zpsvnvshyzu.jpg

Bucket of water and a couple brushes to agitate the muck.

output_zpspjp4iflf.jpg

Power wash of the snow and on with the washing.

I use three types of mitt's to go over the car.

output_zpsggjtav1a.jpg

In the middle is an Incredimitt. I use this over the top half of the car. Washing 1 panel at a time and rinsing it off in a rinse bucket. Only 1 bucket has shampoo in it and the other is just plain water to rinse the mitt's. I'll show you why later.

The other mitt's are 1. for the lower part of the car and 2. the wheels.

Once the car has been washed and rinsed down onto a clay mitt.

output_zpsdslgmdvq.jpg

The picture above shows the mitt and a traditional clay bar.

When you clay the paintwork. The clay removes most bonded on contaminants on the paint. To see if your car has contaminants just rub you hand on the bonnet. Feels rough, like sandpaper? Could do with a clay.

Since using the clay mitt I'm not sure if I will use a bar again. The mitt takes me about 20 minutes to go over the whole car. The bar would take me over an hour.

Although, for a car which has never seen clay I would probably go for the bar. I does a little more 'bite'.

Pulled the car into the garage for a dry.

Here I get out my pet blower.

output_zpswleccsuk.jpg

The less you touch the paintwork the less damage you can cause it.

I use this to blow off the water. It is also very handy for getting water out of all the gaps and spaces it can sit in. You know, where you wash a car, drive off down the road and when your done. Water has come out of the wing mirrors and left marks going down each of the doors.

Dried off and under the lights.

20140626_142937_zpsfmnasfh3.jpg

My paint has not been machined polished since the end of last summer. There are a couple of marks here and there. However, will careful washing all of the winter it has stayed pretty swirl free.

Here is a car which had never seen a machine polish!

DSC_0019-3_zpsabf4e874.jpg

DSC_0028_zps8300bd30.jpg

Cleaned up.

DSC_0030_zpsac11924c.jpg

So with the paint not being to bad I decided just to go for a machine polish rather than compound/correction.

Today weapons of choice.

output_zpsv9sqdktu.jpg

Half the bonnet.

output_zpso5asejee.jpg

output_zpsdtufkayn.jpg

Other half.

output_zpsacylarpg.jpg

output_zpsp4adbn1t.jpg

Whole.

output_zpsytxa6i30.jpg

Light off.

output_zpskwoauugy.jpg

Tried out a new wax today. It's a Limited Edition No. 28 out of 50.

Many people collect waxes in the Detailing World. Personally, I think why buy it if you are not going to use it. This was only £15 or so. I doubt it will be worth a fortune in the future.

However, with me using this one I may have pumped up the price on the unopened one's by a couple of pence. ;)

Going over the rest of the car.

output_zpslgdye7oy.jpg

Remember the buckets I mentioned earlier. Washing out of one and rinsing out of the other?

Here is the reason why.

20140626_155426_zpsyjulgsgt.jpg

The bucket on the right is the 'wash' bucket. On the left is the rinse bucket.

Although, the car was not that dirty. Look at the difference in the water.

If you only use 1 bucket. All of the dirt within the rinse bucket would be continued to be rubbed over your paintwork causing swirls.

I treated my black plastic to Plasticare about 2 years ago and the colour is still holding up very very well. The main reason being this.

output_zpstwmfrvo3.jpg

Auto Finesse Revive.

It is a very good protector of trims.

Treated to the right. Untreated to the left.

output_zpswdxglvvv.jpg

Finished and tucked up in the garage to keep out of the rain that is due.

output_zpskdow59et.jpg

20140626_183530_zpsxopqskp2.jpg

Some of you may remember that I have offered a deep cleaning service on here for your vehicles.

20140626_183530_zpsxopqskp2.jpg

I have even managed to do one.

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=158274&hl=

I am being held up by my day job. As in, I need them to give me permission to have a 2nd job. Not that I am going to be a rich man out of it! and not that other Emergency Service workers can do 2nd jobs with no issues.

However, after months of asking I am still waiting for the paperwork to officially come through.

I imagine and hope that once I get a few of you guys through and post the result here it may get more interest.

There are about 4 people in the pipeline and I am awaiting dates to be confirmed.

If you have made it all the way to the end of this post. Well Done!!

Edited by iPlod999
  • Like 2

jeremy

I think it looks excellent, however being very sad I couldn't help but notice your Bal buckets being in the trade.

• Like 1

jord294

Nice work!

If I had anything worthy of a good clean, I'd be asking for prices ;)

• Like 1

Henry Yorke

Looks fantastic Glen. I've got something which may require some of your expert attention as it hasn't been cleaned in over 10 years!

post-3457-0-64537600-1403815813_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

ATK

Great thread mate. I'm limited in my mechanical ability but am fussy when it comes to detailing my cars so I enjoyed this thread :)

• Like 1

ATK

Gotta try me some auto finesse. At the moment I use plasticare followed by sonus bumper dressing. Sonus looks good but it runs a bit in the rain and leaves little powdery marks.

• Like 1

acox99

You're too far away from Kent, if my car looked like that I would be a proud man. I like the idea of cleaning but run out of patience doing it! I don't understand where the time can go on a 10 hour detail when the car doesn't look too bad to begin with, then you see the results and there outstanding.

• Like 1

iPlod999

Jeremy.

My brother is a tiler. He put me into these.

At £3 odd each they blow the 'Detailing' £20 odd ones out of the water.

Henry.

That would be a doddle.

This Corsa had not been washed in 10.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=334877

At least the Pug is inside.

ATK.

Almost all of the Auto Finesse range is cracking.

Revive is the nuts on trim.

There is no colour in it but it does the job. No runs in the rain. Once dry it repeals water like made. I will always have it to hand.

acox99.

It's not that far. Just over an hour door to door.

Teestuff came down from Leicestershire. 5 hours each way.

For some reason or another I enjoy it. I have no patience, or skill, for engine work, mechanical work or anything that gets my hands dirty.

mrfirepro

Nice work..

I'm only a few miles from Alistair, perhaps if you wanted to come down you could see us both.

Got full respray, just doing rebuild, when built would like someone to educate me on how I keep the paintwork like new and talk about protection

• Like 1

Pugleyrich

I love your threads! It is amazing how much a good clean can improve the look of a car. I'd love to have you go over mine but it needs all the rust sorting first!

• Like 1

dobboy

Nice work!

I was just looking at products today on the detailing forum.

Could you advise/recommend a product for door rubbers and also for a scuttle panel?

Tia

• Like 1

iPlod999

Nice work..

I'm only a few miles from Alistair, perhaps if you wanted to come down you could see us both.

Got full respray, just doing rebuild, when built would like someone to educate me on how I keep the paintwork like new and talk about protection

Maybe. ;)

ATK

Just ordered some Revive :). Same here, I enjoy detailing and quite happily spend a whole afternoon on a Sunday cleaning and detailing the Pug. Can't do machine polishing yet though, so it's all by hand for me.

iPlod999

Using a DA is easy as long as you have the patience.

The Junkman on YouTube is a great teacher.

How To for Novice to Machine Polishing - Part 1:

ATK

Cool will check it out!

acox99

Ahh ok it's not far at all, when it's back up and running I will seriously consider it. it's going to be a while though.

It's got a lot of car park dents down both sides. And I was toying with the idea of paintless dent removal, it's not something I have ever seen done but I have heard good results. It lets the car down as paintwork wise it's sound apart from a small section on drivers door and around the screen in a couple of places. The rest of it is just flat and unloved.

dcc

CONSUELA_e67b17_2103792.jpg​

cti_jim

I think it looks excellent, however being very sad I couldn't help but notice your Bal buckets being in the trade.

haha exactly what I noticed

dobboy

Gummi Pflege for the door runners.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=287698

Auto Finesse Revive for the scuttle panel.

As seen here on my Corsa thread.

DSC_0205_zpsf5a97c4d.jpg

Big thumbs up from me on the Auto Finesse Revive.

After power washing all my interior plastics (off the car) i done the full lot with it.

It looks good and hides a multitude of sins. Hope it lasts.

Still to try it on my scuttle panel.

I also done my back window rubbers with a 3M tyre product, and they seem to have come up good too.

jackherer

Gummi Pflege for the door runners.

Gummi Pflege is amazing stuff, it's not just a detailing product, it puts the original oils back into rubber seals and makes them return to their original size/shape as long as they aren't too far gone. And if you are lucky enough to have new/good condition seals it keeps them that way.

• Like 1

dobboy

Tried the revive on the scuttle panel, wouldn't say it's great, and a pain in the arse to do, but not as much of a pain as fitting the scuttle panel under the window seal.

iPlod999

I did put another post on saying that the Corsa scuttle was done with plasticare followed by Revive.

Revive does not have any colouring in it. However, on its own it will give protection to plastic trim and slightly darken blacks and greys.

I know the feeling with trying to put the scuttle panel back in.

Not a lot of fun.