• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mikey's r5

Electrics

Mikey's r5

Hi guys I and doing the electrics after head gasket, I don't no where the wires in the link go, and also carnt seems to find any wires for the alternator earth. Can anyone help

http://i1362.photobucket.com/albums/r697/mikeysr5/Mobile%20Uploads/E82478E1-04C0-4790-9DB2-B4EA539BD756_zps3nx7zy3s.jpg

2-Pugs

The alternator doesn't have an earth, it earths through the casing to the engine block. It has two connections. You should have a thick cable with an eyelet that is held on with a nut, that goes to the starter then directly to the battery + terminal, and second, a standard spade terminal that emerges from the same loom as the two oil pressure sensors and the small wire to the starter.

Personally I can't be exactly sure where those wires go you show in the first photos as I can't see roughly where they are, or what loom they come from but if I had to guess I'd say they look like either the oil pressure senders ( just by the alternator) is the water temperature sensors (back of head near dipstick)

The second to last pic in your set shows the + wire from battery to distribution box and it looks a bit of a mess so i'd say you do need to sort that out by crimping an eyelet on to it or replacing the wire complete.

Edited by 2-Pugs

Mikey's r5

Perfect yep having a tidy up of all wiring, didn't know there was a sensor by dipstick so will see if they reach. Thanks for the quick reply.

Mikey's r5

Having a few problems with fan wiring, can anyone help me with what goes where, at the minute I have a grey plug going to fan but fan is not working, also does anyone have a picture of the positive distributor thing and what goes where on that. Also when I turn lights on the wipers go on aswell. Please can anyone help as have mot booked for mon afternoon.

erbs

so where does the earth wire go? i thought it went to the alternator on the wiring part of the sensors?

welshpug

God no! The only earth is from gearbox to chassis and branches off to the battery

there is an earth on the loom coming through the bulkhead which is either bolted to the coil bracket or behind the washer bottle

Edited by welshpug

erbs

on the wires where the oil sensors are at the front of the engine there is a spade connection with the earth colour,it can't go to the back as its not long enough

Mikey's r5

Can someone tell me where the earth should bolt to from battery to chassis as I don't think I have mine in correct position as not got any dash lights and when I did have dash lights my starter is just clicking. Battery is charged. Thanks

2-Pugs

The earth cable from your battery has two tails. The grey one goes to the top of the gearbox. The green/yellow one goes to the body shell.

Mikey's r5

Thanks, where abouts should it b bolted to body as at the minute it's only bolted to battery tray. Thanks

mrfirepro

Mine is bolted to the ali plate behind the coil (p1.5), the same plate that is a heat sink for the ignition amp.

P1040155_666x500.jpg

Mikey's r5

Thanks for reply, have bolted mine to the bolt behind washer bottle and seems to be working ok now. Thanks.

MikeC

Paul, that looks like a sweet job on the engine bay, kudos to you :ph34r: