• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dirtdog

Engine Top Mount

dirtdog

Hi everyone. Im no mechanic but I'd like some help/advice if anyone can offer it.

Ive basically been told my engine mount has snapped, it's a xud motor but I belive it uses the same mountings as the other xu so hoping someone has come across this before.

I've been told to jack up the engine and undo the top mount so I can see, I've so far taken off both the front and rear belt covers. I also removed the inner arch panel so i can access the belts and the inner wing, I've taken up the movement in the top mount with a jack and a plank of wood on the sump. I ran into trouble trying to get one of the four top mount nut off as I don't have a deep socket :( lol. Bloody typical.

Anyway..without removing it I can't see any further down toward the problem. Apparently the mount is broken where it joins the engine. Does this mean there is a stud going into the block or something which has broken? I can only find information about changing the part of the mount that joins to the chassis. And I have no idea where I can get replacement from even if it can be fixed

Sorry if I'm not making sense.And thanks in advance

mikeyd

are you sure its not the rubber mount thats broken as thats what normally goes rather than the alloy brackets

dirtdog

Pretty sure yep.

You may be able to see in the pictures what is wrong and where the fuel pump timing cog is rubbing the bottom edge of some casing. Red pencil is there to highlight where the crack in plate is...whatever the plate is or does i'm not sure. It's sandwiched between the timing pulleys etc and the block.

The rubber and the mount above the belt are all fine in my eyes...unless i'm overlooking something.

What happened was ...I was puling off from a junction and I felt something pop or snap. Pressed the clutch because it almost stalled ..thought maybe a driveshaft had broken but I pulled off straight after no problems. Except about 1 second later the grinding noise was horrific. Thought something was caught in my wheel or even worse the timing belt. Pulled over almost immediatley and shut it off. Had it towed back and these pictures are what I was met with.

Also in the picture of the timing pulley..directly below it is the head of a bolt...This was loose. It will not tighten and I can not get it out because it fouls chassis leg. My friend thinks it should be a hi tensile one but probably wasn't. Any ideas?

2_05engine.jpg205_engine.jpg205engine.jpg

Edited by dirtdog

dirtdog

Ok i need to bump this up, still no ideas. Ive been so busy recently ive not had time to look at it, i had however found that two bolts are very loose (wont come out they hit the inner wing) on what i think is the bottom half of the top engine mount. Has anyone changed the full mount? I guess the lower half is bolted to the engine block. Beginning to think ive snapped the block bolts/studs. I willl try to get some more pictures up to help my shoddy descrption. Any help is much appreciated

welshpug

sounds like an engine out job unfortunately.

dirtdog

Cheers mei'. Might just source a xud9te and be done with it