• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johnnyboy666

Yellow Van Daily Driver

johnnyboy666

Hello,

As some of you might have noticed from my other post, I have recently acquired an XAD GL 1.8 diesel van, in a fetching shade of 'council yellow'.

post-9599-0-43457200-1402227363_thumb.jpg

I intend to use it as my daily driver, so I can use the GT as more of a fun car.

I thought I'd pop a few pics of the progress as I tidy the van up and bring it back to its former glory.

I haven't washed or polished/waxed a car for a very long time with the GT being matt black so I nipped out to fetch some cleaning products yesterday, and came back with some G3 scratch remover, G3 colour restorer and G3 wax, and set about trying to get it looking presentable.

I confess that I don't know the first thing about making a car shiny, and a few minutes on detailing world left me feeling well out of my depth, especially on a van that doesn't have particularly good paint to start with.

So I just followed the instructions on the G3 stuff and got stuck in.

2 hours later and I think it looks pretty good for a van that's had a hard life! I'd almost go as far as saying that somebody who knows their way around an electric polishing mop thingy might be able to get this thing looking rather smart!

post-9599-0-13617300-1402238219_thumb.jpg

post-9599-0-47911900-1402238293_thumb.jpg

I also couldn't resist the urge to rallye it up a bit with PTS grill stripes, which will inevitably pave the way for a few more rallye looking changes along the way.

On my to-do list so far:

-replace tired faded and cracked bumpers with ph2 pair that have been taking up space in my garage

-get some valances painted up (if i can find a paint match!) probably GTi valances as I have a pair of them taking up garage space too

-get some rallye steelies

-get drivers wing replaced (the one on there is a non genuine badly painted replacement)

-repair or replace dented and scratched bootild

- probably remove rubber side strips, as they have been removed previoulsy and badly put back on

-get matching set of quarter badges, possibly with some comedic combination of van and rallye stickers on

-replace/repair boot floor (rusty at the rear edge)

-two patches need welding above the fuel tank, under where the seats would be

few more pics to follow....

johnnyboy666

post-9599-0-30520300-1402238722_thumb.jpg

post-9599-0-23819500-1402238786_thumb.jpg

(note the above pic was before polishing/waxing)

post-9599-0-11097800-1402238874_thumb.jpg

post-9599-0-83730700-1402238905.jpg

• Like 1

Loose Hand Luke

Love it!

• Like 1

Pugnut

personally ide do my utmost to make this look more like a council van than a van trying to be a gti, and spend the money on big power, suspension and brakes.

• Like 1

Loose Hand Luke

Is the floorpan in the back different from a standard 205? Never owned a van version!

calvinhorse

No they just had a box where the back seats would be to make the floor flat

• Like 1

johnnyboy666

personally ide do my utmost to make this look more like a council van than a van trying to be a gti, and spend the money on big power, suspension and brakes.

Oh i wont be trying to make it look like a GTi that's for sure!

The engine, suspension and brakes will be staying standard for this year, as i've got the GT for thrashing. Might rethink that for next year though.

There seems to be a strip of angle steel riveted across the boot, where the back of the seats would be, I think thats been added on at some point.

There's actually been seats added in the back for some reason, but the front seats dont tilt, so presumably one would climb in through the boot

dirtdog

No they just had a box where the back seats would be to make the floor

Any pictures of this?

calvinhorse

No sorry, it carries on the same corrugated lines as the boot floor

• Like 1

johnnyboy666

Would anybody be able to help me try to identify the shade of yellow this might be? It was resprayed by/for the council, so obviously not a peugeot colour. Looking at RAL colours http://www.ralcolor.com/ i think it might be close to RAL1023 'traffic yellow', which would correlate with its previous life.

The bits that need painting are not exactly directly next to the paint, e.g the valances, and the inner wheel arch, so a close match would probably suffice, but I don't want to spend money on paint and then realise its useless

Cheers

Leet205

Been following this with interest, Don't know why I like 205 vans so much! Take a drive to your local motor factor that supplies paint and take the car with you and they will be able to match it for you. They will even mix you said colour in exchange for some cash :)

Colin