• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Bovien

Stuttering Under Light Acc

Bovien

Suddenly my 1.9 has started to "stutter" when accelerating at medium throttle typically 3-4000 rpm. It is probably a single ignition that's failing. I'm guessing the issue could be everything from spark plugs, to coils, cables and dizzy. But any idea on where I should look first or mayby possibilities I'm missing?

My plugs are reasonably new and so are the cables. i've also replaced the dizzy some months ago. It has a weird non standard looking coil which I'm suspecting but for no specific reason. The problem seems to lighten when the engine is hot.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

jackherer

Sounds like the ignition amp to me. You might get away with just applying new thermal transfer paste between the amp and the heatsink.

Bovien

I'll check that out'

Thanks a bunch!

Bovien

I took the amp off and remounted it, tightening the screws. That helped nicely but didn't cure it.

After adding paste, nothing really changed so have a light stutter now.

Next step must be to replace the amp, as something definately got better after rummaging around?

DamirGTI

Was the back surface of the amp. dry without any traces of the old paste when you took it off the plate ? also was it tight or the two screws holding the amp on the plate where loose ?

If so , then the amp has definitely suffered permanent damage .. both overheat and vibration caused ... thus will need replacement .

But check the wiring as well - amp connector and its wiring in case theres maybe wire which has partial break under wire insulation thus makes good contact when bent in one particular angle but poor while stretched or similar .. and connector terminals for pushed or oxidized connectors .. also , pick an screwdriver with soft (plastic/rubber) handle and tap it a few times on the amp body - if that makes any difference on how the engine starts/runs/idles afterwards , worse or better - replace the amp .

D

Edited by DamirGTI

Bovien

Thanks, good points

It was nice at firmly fitted at slightly moist under there. The fact that I had the plug off and on could also be why it works better now, so you might be right in cabeling might be an issue.

Depending in the price, I would try to get a new or used amp to check if that makes a difference.

Any idea of which peugeots ran with the same one? It is almost impossible to find any here in DK..

DamirGTI

Can find it in quite a few Peugeot/Citroen's from the 80's both fuel injected and carb models , but also few other car brands of the same vintage which where using Bosch "L" variations of the Jetronic and Bosch Motronic engine management .. here's the list of linked brands/models :

http://cat.hueco-automotive.com/index.php?searchkey=138001&dialog=1&contentmode=3&lang

OE amp. is blue Bosch MTR01 0 227 100 123 (the old one .. new one is black , Bosch doesn't make them blue any more but the part No. is still the same)

D

Bovien

Thanks!

I've found this:

http://www.thansen.dk/product.asp?n=644832501&pn=645581508

It is 7 pin and it is the same part for 1,6 and 1,9, so I'm guessing I'm good. However, this shop usually doesn't deal in quality, but as it is only 40£ and also marked NFP in service box, I'm guessing it is worth a try

DamirGTI

Well , personally id say better stay away from "unbranded" amps ... they usually don't last as long as the OE Bosch one and engine tends to misfire/runs odd with such amps ..

Better stick with known stuff like :

Bosch

Lucas

Magneti Marelli

... most places these days first offers you Intermotor ignition parts - while the coils and other stuff could be good , avoid at all costs Intermotor amps , they're proven to be really bad on 205's causing misfires overheating/burning out etc. , plain and simple the ignition system on a 205 doesn't like it .

If you want something more cheaper price wise but still quality part , then id recommend Huco Beru or Valeo amps .. they're a little bit cheaper than the three above but still good quality amps without causing ignition problems like misfires or such .. only issue with these "may" be that they wont last as long as OE Bosch amp (the blue one at least .. new black Bosch amps also aren't as good as old blue ones ..)

And do not ask/buy them from the dealer ! you'll get identical part like the one from the usual car part store but with double price .

D

Edited by DamirGTI

Bovien

I would prefer top quality. With the dump of money I've put into this car over the last two years, it would be stupid to save a few bucks then. I will see if I can find the OEM one from Bosch

By he way, mine is black.

I'm guessing I might have a hard time if indent it in dk if Peugeot doesn't carry it. Do you have a link for a good supplier in the UK?

Thanks again!

DamirGTI

Im not from the UK ! so i really can't help with that ..

Why not order one from ebay ? or better still from here , ask in the wanted section theres tons of spare parts available from forum members , so finding an amp for you here will surely be quick/easy and postage from UK to DK shouldn't be much for such small item/part .

Ask for old blue Bosch one - it doesn't matter they're old/used , the blue ones are the best , virtually never go wrong .

Just apply fresh heat sink paste while fitting it and it'll be fine .

D

Edited by DamirGTI

Bovien

I'll do that.

Thank!