• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
cfraser16

205 Exhaust Help

cfraser16

Hi all,

I am a bit of a novice in terms of car maintenance and repairs and would greatly appreciated any advice or experience others can offer!

I have been trying to replace the exhaust on my 1.9 gti and have removed the whole system except the manifold.

I bought some new parts and have now got the correct pieces to put the whole thing back together, however, at this point I have become stuck...

I cannot get the washers out of the manifold flange to allow me to reconnect the exhaust, I don't want to use brute force before asking for advice so was hoping someone would be able to suggest how to remove them! I am a little paranoid I might break something if I am not careful or go about it the wrong way!

My two thoughts have been:

- heat them and then punch them out

- use a kind of pulling tool to force them out relative to the flange

As above any help would be great

Thanks

welshpug

Bfh and a punch, clean up with emery and fit new cups.

• Like 1

Tom Fenton

Drive them out with a hammer and punch. If you are worried about breaking the manifold you could cut a slit in them first which will allow them to close up slightly.

cfraser16

Much appreciated guys - got them out tonight in 20 mins with a hacksaw, hammer and punch!

Thanks again