• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Grim.Badger

Checking A Spare Gearbox

Grim.Badger

I picked up a spare 1.9 gearbox years ago, the last owner said the synchro might be going on 1st but he normally drove automatics so wasn't sure, and it's now been sat in my garage for a long time. Is there any way I could check it works properly (and isn't full of spiders) without ever having taken a gearbox apart before and not having the time to do anything complicated?

I doubt it's relevent, but the exterior is quite clean (free of oil/grease/muck), the yellow buffers on the clutch arm are in good condition and the oil seals are unbroken (but I would replace anyway).

Slo

put it in a 205 and try it or split it open and inspect the synchro hubs i guess, either way damage/wear will probably stare you right in the face if its knackered

Edited by Slo

Grim.Badger

Thanks, I thought as much. I did read the Haynes sections for gearboxes a while back but it all seemed very involved so thought I'd double check on here.

Grim.Badger

Doesn't mean I know everything, Pitcrew covers a lot of different experience levels. There are plenty of things I don't need help with and can advise on, but I'm bright enough to know when to check before writing off a job or just diving in (and I don't trust Haynes).

welshpug

and your pitcrew?

I doubt many on here have delved further into a gearbox than fitting an LSD.

Mac Crash

GB > Fair enough, probably I didn't read your post through, was surprised you'd ask what you already must have known, my post was unfair and unhelpful, sorry about that.

WP > true, although you'd expect everyone or at least all pit crew to know there is no other way of inspecting synchros, baulk rings etc without "delving" into the gearbox itself. didn't mean anything by it, seemed to be a question Grim.Badger already knew the logical answer to.