• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
camgti

Coilover Questions.

camgti

OK. Big learning curve at the moment.

Ive just had my Bilstein coilovers rebuilt and valved/adjusted to suit my 9in 200lb springs Ive had made up.

Problem is that they keep bottoming out.

First question.

After a brief search it seems I have Tarmac inserts, which are turning out to be too short? Are the different inserts people are talking about different lengths? Ie, do they come out of the body higher therefore giving more travel?

If this is the case, I need longer inserts as the ones Im running are not long enough for what I want to use them for which is mostly road and 5 or 6 track days a year.

How are they rated?

Tarmac - Short?

Gravel - Medium?

Forrest - Long?

Are these easy to change? WIll I need to have them Re Dynoed to match the springs again?

( After reading over this, it seems I should have done my homework before having all the work done. Learning the hard $$ way )

Cam

camgti

Marked at the top of the insert is

3302v36 0545ho

They have been Dynoed for the 200lb springs

Cam

allanallen

How much droop have you got and how much bump before it hits the stop?

Tarmac inserts are pretty short

camgti

Hey Allen,

Not sure what droop is? Is that when the wheel is lifted off the ground with a jack? Its probably about 5-6 inches clearance from tyre to guard. Enough room to get the tools in there to adjust the height.

With a 24mm rear arb, the rear come off the ground first before the front, but not by much.

Im sure its the inserts. Been researching all afternoon ( OZ time ) and seems the case.

Any idea what my inserts are by the above numbers?

Thanks for the reply!

( BTW the rear arms are great. Have only had the car on the track a few times. Might get another set with no toe down the track )

Cam

camgti

Oh, how much bump before the stop. Hard to say. Not much really, about 3-5 inches max.

I thought it worked by winding the spring pans up higher, allowing the insert to come out of the body more. Thats not happening! ( the spring is just compressing! ) Learning everyday!

Cam

welshpug

Gravel/forest, same thing.

From memory, tar is 9" 225lb, gravel 10" 185 lb.

It shouldnt be bottoming out with the height set correctly without some severe landing or big bumps mid corner.

camgti

Yea thats what I thought Mei.

Its 9in 200lb

Ill make a few adjustments tomorrow and see how i get on.

Is there a chance the sleings i have are crap.

camgti

* The springs may be crap.

Does anyone have a photo of a 9in spring?

Or can anyone tell me how many coils they have?

I believe the springs are binding...

Cam

Mac Crash

Not sure if this will help but photo shows Bilstein with 10" free length gravel/forest spring & insert

the bare spring is 10" tarmac spring. Learning curve for me right now too concerning coilovers,

but I know as much as yours should not be bottoming out unless springs are too soft or ride

height settings are wrong?

2a7wob5.jpg

Batfink

Off the top of my head the gravel damper is the only one made, Tarmac being a revalved gravel damper....or it's the other way round lol. I have part number details at work so can check Tuesday. Even got a set of brand new bilsteins sitting on my desk lol

camgti

Ok. So all inserts are the same length? Some are saying otherwise...

Is it just a case of the springs being too short and the roads being really bad! ( we have terrible roads compared to the uk. I know you guys complain but we are another level altogether! )

Thanks for the help guys. Really want to sort this out. Looking forward to your findings Kev.

EdCherry

Probably the springs too long if they are going coil bound.

camgti

Thats what I was thinking.

Ill get some pictures up of what I have. Im guessing the spring I have needs about 2-3 less coils.

Cam

camgti

Here are some photos of what I have at the moment.

I ve also got some 6in springs that were actually better but were 285lb and too stiff

Cam

post-5385-0-56122600-1401007728_thumb.jpg

post-5385-0-95577000-1401007732_thumb.jpg

post-5385-0-23795300-1401007737_thumb.jpg

post-5385-0-23221900-1401007741_thumb.jpg

post-5385-0-98115900-1401007746_thumb.jpg

post-5385-0-03208100-1401007751_thumb.jpg

post-5385-0-01033000-1401007755_thumb.jpg

camgti

Compared to the photo from MacCrash . My springs have the same amount of coils, yet are 1in shorter. Will this be adding to my problem?

Even if I wind the spring pans up the height of the car does not raise, the springs just compress further...

Does this mean the inserts are short?

Or the springs are usless..

Cam

Edited by camgti

camgti

Heres a pic of the height of the car. Its low but not that low.

Hers a pic of the spring at the hight on the ground. Not the best as its with the phone up under the guard but you get the idea. Definitely looks like springs are binding. Really pissing me off.

Do springs 'settle' so to speak? And if so, whats a normal amount? Im starting to see the age old saying ( and I should know better ) "you get what you pay for". I actually ordered these springs to test the rates and how they felt and then order something fancy. Rates seem balanced with the rear rates.

Cam

post-5385-0-39525000-1401010211_thumb.jpg

post-5385-0-89517300-1401010214_thumb.jpg

welshpug

What I.d and wire diameter do you have?

camgti

Not sure on the WIre diameter on the 9in springs i have on there now.

60mm ID it seems but there is a little play from side to side. So without measuring, they may actually be 2.25in ( 57mm )

The Eibachs that cam off were ERS 160 60 50

welshpug

So 160mm 60 id and 50nm

camgti

£14.90 each from Rally Design ...

Really?

Cant find them on their site.

Cam

Yep thats correct Mei

camgti

Thanks Biggles

Cheers

camgti

Digging this one up again guys.

Looks like its the inserts. After reading through this thread http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=101481

It seems the inserts are too short. They are 'tarmac spec' and have a short top spindle.

Ive currently got 10in and 8in 200lbs springs to choose from. I

Just been on a long trip (400 miles) and bottomed the front out a handful of times over bumps that should not cause any problems.

I am having a real battle understanding how this is happening. Its terribly frustrating as I just want it to behave as I want it.

I had these current inserts valved for 200lbs springs. Can I buy a linger insert and swap the valves myself?

Cam