• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Henry 1.9GTi

Plate Type Lsd Oil With Syncromesh

Henry 1.9GTi

I have searched and read a few posts which seem to suggest standard comma 75-80. I have been using this with regular changes.

On rebuilding my diff with new plates I found that they were absolutely mangled and scored, oil was full of particals as it usual is when changing but was alot worse this time round and I'm not suprised having seen the plates!

Car is used hard on circuit and so the diff really does get a hard life. On this note was wondering whether anyone has used a specific LSD oil and managed to get the box through a couple years use without syncromesh problems?

Thinking of trying: Silkolene SILKTRAN SYN 5 75W-90 Fully Synthetic Gear Oil (now Fuchs Titan Race Syn 5 75w-90) I believe oilman has recommended this in a previous topic on here. And if I do I have a bag of 4x1L comma GL-4 oil up for grabs ;)

Which claims to be suitable for syncro gearboxes but isnt a 140 grade LSD oil.

Any comments welcome!

Cheers.

dcc

I was told to use a friction modifier with my diff by a friend who does rallying. My diff being in a road car.

Henry 1.9GTi

yeh have heard (read) that mentioned a few times, but it depends on the oil you start with. Some don't require the friction modifier. Torco oils seem popular with Honda owners in the states that also have the same conumdrum of syncro boxes with plate diffs. More digging required!

allanallen

Nick/ Gti6boy always used kazz LSD oil from memory so he's worth a shout.

How much preload are you running?

Edited by allanallen

GilesW

What is your rev limit set at?

I killed my synchro's in my quaife box due to changing high revs as they couldn't keep up with the 8,900 rpm and quick changes.

Henry 1.9GTi

only 7400 tops. Syncros are fine at the moment but have been using standard box oil. Diff plates were shagged.

Alan: just light weight setting. Doesnt need any more and its already hard to hold onto with PAS rack with no PAS and a slightly smaller wheel. It hooked up brilliantly when new so should be back to normal now. I made a change to the ramp angle as well for less coast lock. Would ideally fit a 90 ramp on coast but havn't got that option without waiting for Quaife. Car has always suffered from understeer except on a few occasions where I got it right so hopefully the ramp angle change will aid this.

But would like to try a different oil after seeing those plates.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/gear-oil/motul-gear-300-ls-synthetic-gear-oil-75w90

says syncromesh in the description.... must be ok ;)

Edited by Henry 1.9GTi

welshpug

shifts are much nicer with the proper stuff.

Henry 1.9GTi

fair enough. Mine has (had) some horrible attachment to the gearbox which gave it a short shift but made the changes a bit rough. Probably masked any change due to oil grade. Satchshift is incoming :)

Edited by Henry 1.9GTi

welshpug

have you tried pug/citroen supplied oil? or getting hold of some Total BV oil elsewhere, but the dealers don't charge that much at all.

dcc

SatShift will kill any dying synchros very quickly! good luck

Ams

I'm facing the same dilemma, buy an oil thats got the magic combo of being good for both syncros and plated LSD. I spoke to Opie/Oilman and they recommended this:

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=43&pcid=7

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-1020-red-line-synthetic-manual-transmission-90-mt90-75w-90-gl4.aspx

I ran it past the plated diff supplier and they mentioned such an oil is ideal for the LSD but did not have data to verify if it'll affect syncro's specifically for the BE3 (my setting is 50/90 lightweight for road use). I've used the stuff before but on a 200sx gearbox and it was excellent in all conditions. I'll take the plunge and test it soon as it's fitted.

Edited by Ams

welshpug

That's for dog boxes not synchro :blink:

Henry 1.9GTi

SatShift will kill any dying synchros very quickly! good luck

just as well none of them are dying then! And I always heel and toe, never had a problem.

Want your 90 coast ramp :) cheers for info Ams, i'm going to look into LS type oils as well as gear oil with the friction modifier.

Welshpug, last time I tried to get total BV (years ago) it was no longer mineral but a part synthetic. But still listed for Pug boxes. Ill give something a go, worst that happens is syncros go but it only does 500 miles a year.

Ams

Whoops wrong link, it's this one http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-1020-red-line-synthetic-manual-transmission-90-mt90-75w-90-gl4.aspx . But don't take my word for it Henry as I haven't fitted it, I'm in the same boat as you!

Does anyone know if the MT90 stuff in the link is any good for the BE3+ plated LSD? Or am I being wrongly advised?

Edited by Ams

Mac Crash

I was told to use a friction modifier with my diff by a friend who does rallying. My diff being in a road car.

Have heard about and experienced good things with Slick 50?

Rippthrough

The idea with the friction modifier is you can add it slowly until you've got enough in there that the plates stop chattering, without having so much slip you start to damage the syncros. Just add a little bit by bit until you can feel the syncro's just starting to baulk a bit at either low oil temperatures or high RPM changes.
I'm afraid it's a bit of a balancing act, you could give this a shot:

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-739-castrol-syntrans-multivehicle-75w-90-fully-synthetic-mtf-replaces-smx-s-75w-85.aspx

Which is a similar viscosity when cold to the original Total BV, but significantly thicker when warm. That usually means it's more prone to shear in a plate diff due to the VI's, but at least with it being a fully synth to start with you stand a bit more of a chance there.

andy0075

i use this oil in my BE3 with Tran-X Diff and i have no problems :

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-60230-millers-oils-crx-75w-90-nt-competition-full-synthetic-transmission-oil.aspx

"Suitable for use in synchromesh and sequential gearboxes. Ideal for combined synchromesh gearbox and limited slip differentials.

Also suitable for separate open and certain limited slip differentials."

Andy

Henry 1.9GTi

thanks all for suggestions and info. Ive now gone for standard oil but in the form of a Millers EP75-80 which has slightly higher viscosity rating than the comma stuff (~10 vs 8 @ 100deg) and meets GL-5 as well as 4. Will use this with the friction modifier / break-in additive.

Andy: If only opie had recommended that one to start with, missed those words in the decription when trawling through gear oils. They recommended LS type oils which specifically state not for use with syncromesh gearboxs but assured me it would be fine.... it may be fine but would rather not risk it. May try the one you say above for cars second outing.

Cheers,

Henry.

Jon_Bmw

Henry,

How did you get on with the Millers in the end?

I am changing box at the moment (moving Tran-X over to new box) and I think I used a 75w-90 before(can't remember brand), with no real adverse affect on gear change.

I keep changing my mind on what to use...

Jon

Henry 1.9GTi

Hi Jon,

I just use the CRX 75W-90 millers motorsport oil now. No detrimental difference in shifting, feels good. And I'm sure the higher quality oil will help the box and diff. I don't bother adding any modifiers and the oil is not the LS type i.e. doesn't have modifiers in to start with.

It's expensive but I change it after every event as its always full of crap from the diff plates.

Henry.