• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
td_w

Two Different Noises, Neither Good

td_w

Hey there,

So new starter motor, sorted out my grounding wires and now my 205 1.9 GTI starts every time!

But it has two noises. I have searched extensively through the forums and nothing quite matches my issues.

1. Brakes

When warm the brake pedal clicks as if it might snap off at any moment, its not smooth and is noisy and jerky. The vacuum seems to work as it is supposed to, it gets tougher to press when you pump the brakes and goes down when you turn the engine off with your foot on the pedal. But its not right. Could the fluid be leaking? Could it be old and need changing, or have water in it? Its at the correct level...

2. Steering

Now, this is worrying too :( It clicks when I turn either direction - big clicks like there is something wrong with the rack - where should I start looking for issues? Could it be drive shafts? If so how do I check them?

Thanks in advance!

td_w

Should say knocking noise rather than clicking... the car has been sat for about 18 months.

jackherer

Problem 1 might just be loose nuts holding the pedal box to the bulkhead.

2 sounds like it could be the lower steering universal joint if it feels like the rack itself, driveshafts/CVs are likely to be worse in one direction than the other.

td_w

Thanks for the reply Jack

The pedal issue only happens when its warm, and the 'jerkyness' happens without the pedal, I went and pushed it with my hand and got same un-smooth action and noise. Actually thinking about it, it could be master cylinder - what are the symptoms of it leaking/having a problem?

With the universal joint, what am I looking for?

Edited by td_w

jackherer

Failed master cylinders normally result in a pedal that slowly sinks to the floor if you hold it down as the fluid leaks back around the piston back into the reservoir.

If you get someone to rock the steering while you hold the lower UJ you should feel any roughness or clicking if that's what it is.

td_w

As its been sat there I think I will change the brake fluid anyway and see if that helps.... failing that could it be the servo being noisy and jerky?

td_w

checked brake fluid and it looks fine BUT the seal on master cylinder is totally gone, so will try and get a new one... any idea if they sell seal/cap on its own?

Thanks in advance

dobboy

Td, if the seals on your MC have gone I would check and clean (if you are not too late) the junction where the front chassis leg joins bulkhead. This is where mine suffered rot as a result of a duff seal that previos owner never attended to, and its a pig to get into to sort. Hopefully you've caught it in time.

I changed MC which comes with seals, so not sure if you can buy seals separately. Try "brakes international" for a repair kit.

td_w

Ok thanks for the tip - getting on it now!

td_w

Just to clarify - its the lid of the MC that has a seal issue

Slo

:lol: Jackherer means the piston seals inside the master cylinder, not the rubber seal that fits on the end to the servo. If that end seal is gone the engine will just suck air through the gaps continuously resulting in a higher idle and poor braking assistance. Just get a new master cylinder mate.

td_w

Sorry.... the seal is on the LID of the MC resevoir, when I unscrewed it it has a black seal, its totally in bits.... not the seals in the MC or the seal on the servo :)

Will changing it make a difference? I imagine it would let moisture in, maybe, but also air in/out if not sealed, which cannot be good!

jackherer

Letting air into the reservoir wont mean air gets into the master cylinder or braking system, if it did you'd need to somehow bleed the reservoir every time you took the cap off.

It could make it easier for moisture to get in though, and changing it is a wise precaution.

If you're going to change the brake fluid you'll need to unscrew all four bleed nipples and these have a habit of shearing off if they've been left for a while so it's worth checking they all undo in advance.

td_w

Thanks for the feedback

So, lets just say its not fluid/reservoir and the servo seems fine - what could be causing by un-smooth brake action - could it be air bubbles in the fluid? It only does it when its hot, after 20 mins or so of running.

jackherer

It's not going to be air, that makes the pedal spongy/springy.

Have you inspected the discs/calipers? If there is movement there e.g. loose sliders you might feel that through the pedal. Other than that I'm out of ideas.

hoodygoodwood

I believe the master cylinder reservoir cap seal is no longer available from Peugeot , it wasn't when I last asked . A lot of Peugeot parts departments will have one or two lying around as they are small and cheap , 4644.07 is the part number I believe .

td_w

Thanks, I have started to ask around for the seals and also keeping an eye on eBay

Think I am going to replace the vacuum/servo as it doesn't look too hard a job and see if that cures it, the noise is def coming from the servo.

As for the steering noises, how would I check to see if its the drive shafts? And how would I check if its the rack? Any tips?

hoodygoodwood

When driveshaft U/J's are badly worn they normally give a very distinctive clicking sound when you are on full lock and give it a bit of throttle . If you are getting a noise from the steering when making small movements the best bet might be to get the front end up on 2 decent axle stands and lay under it while someone turns the wheel .

Where are you in London ? , if you are ever round Enfield way drop me a PM , you could call in .

td_w

Thanks hoody, I am near Battersea so not great for Enfield otherwise I would jump at a hand..... I will def get it jacked up and have a look. It makes the knocking as soon as it turns left or right

Slo

pull the grommet out of the bulkhead where the column goes through then you will be able to see if the uj is wobbling as you rock/turn it

td_w

brilliant, thanks for that will do

I also think it could be top mounts - as its been sat for 18 months i think the rubbers may have crumbled :(

td_w

Sorted! Anti roll bar drop link, seized, ground off and replaced.

Brakes - don't know, more things to check