• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
alync406

Not Enough Cooling With Bbm Radiator

alync406

On my 1.6 GTi rally car with motorbike throttle bodies I have a shortened baker BM radiator fitted which I got with the fan attached which is a 7" Spal fan. On my last day out the temp was going over 100 so it appears that the fan isn't fit to cool it. Should this fan be able to keep it cool enough? Anyone else with this setup? I searched for fans the same size with a higher output and found a pacet fan but they are not available anymore.

Anyone any ideas on my options?

Thanks

Tom Fenton

When does it overheat? When stationary after a stage or on the move?

welshpug

its quite unlikely the rad is at fault, they have a massive cooling capacity.

alync406

When I look at the temp when finishing a run in a rally sprint type event (about 3mins run) the temp was just over 100 a few times and it wasn't on too hot a day. The fan is controlled by the ecu and was on but didn't seem to be bringing the temperature down.

Don't think it's the rad at fault myself.

B1ack_Mi16

What about ignition timing?

I have problems with heat on mine especially when it idles, but I'm sure it's down to poor mapping (which was done by mylsef for the idle settings).

Too retarded and it will produce s*itloads of heat.

Tom Fenton

Is the fan sealed to the rad properly? Any gap between fan and rad and the airflow will take the easiest route e.g. through the gap NOT through the rad.

GilesW

Is the fan sealed to the rad properly? Any gap between fan and rad and the airflow will take the easiest route e.g. through the gap NOT through the rad.

Where's that photo of (Ally?) rad fan??? lol

• Like 1

Tom Fenton

That did not deserve to be called a rad fan. s*itty propellor perhaps?

• Like 1

welshpug

If its getting that hot when moving i would start with a new thermostat.

McDude

Is the fan rotating in the right direction?

alync406

The fan is mounted good and close to the radiator, can see in some pictures here http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=124647&page=2 , the fan is turning the right way too.

The termostat seems to be ok but I may try a new one to see what happens maybe.

Maybe it could be possibly to do with the mapping? Car seems to run good apart from low revs it kinda bogs down a bit I have noticed.

Edited by alync406

kyepan

also make sure you remove the insert from the front bumper (black blanking plate below the bumper) if you have not already, because this blocks the path to the bulk of the shortened radiator. Mine runs noticeably cooler, cools quicker on the move, etc with this removed. we tested back to back.

Cheers

J

B1ack_Mi16

I might try to change the idle timing on mine when/if I manage to take it home soon and see how that affects the heat problems I have.

If I start mine (cold) and let it idle for 2-3 minutes it starts to get very hot already.

alync406

Haven't got this sorted really but noticed something which seems to be causing the problem. I was testing my car after doing some work on it and had the sump guard off and the temperature stayed between 85-90 . Put the sump guard back on and the temp goes up to 100 again. Any ideas how to get better airflow through the radiator with the sump guard on?

welshpug

Any ducting/cowling on the rad?

alync406

There is no ducting/cowling on the rad. It just has a slimline fan mounted to the rad. I would have thought it would get good airflow from the grill in the bumper but then with the sump guard on possibly it has nowhere to go there to get through the rad to cool properly?

unariciflocos

Sounds like there's no place for the air to flow. Goes through the rad and then it's caught in the engine bay.

stu8v

How old is the rad? New or 2nd hand?

I had similar issues with a std rad. A new rad cured my problems, the old one must have been partiality blocked with scale or something.

welshpug

Without any ducting the air will flow over the top

Tom Fenton

If you look at the standard radiator setup the holes all round the radiator are filled with the fan cowl. So the air has to pass through the rad. If you leave big gaps the air will go round the rad rather than through it.

stu8v

The fan doesn't do a great deal when moving.

Yes its install doesnt sound great. But I'd be looking at the rad, stat or pump.

petert

What oil cooling does it have? Mine runs hot with a 13 row, but with a 19 row it sits on the thermostat temperature. The oil temp was increasing gradually until a point where it took the water temp with it.

alync406

The rad is only new as is the thermostat and pump.

Have a 10 row mocal oil cooler with thermostatic sandwich plate and the oil temp doesn't seem to go too high (according to the gauge anyway which is a stack gauge).

Looks like I have to try direct the airflow through the radiator somehow. Does anyone have the BBM radiator fitted and have ducting? Pics would be a great help.

Thanks.

cheesegrater

I had this problem with mine but again I have an intercooler in the way. I ended up strapping a rsv mille rad fan on as well as the spal and it holds its temps lovely even in hot traffic.