• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
talk2dave

Backfiring And Overfuelling, Delayed Revs

talk2dave

Hi chaps,

Just finished putting my engine back together along with a mechanic friend after the head gasket went a few months ago.

Finally got it started a few days ago, but it's backfiring, (not much or particularly loud) and overfuelling. Alot. (The car is in the garage and It fills up with smoke after about 10 seconds of running!)

It's also idling at around 2000rpm, whereas before it was spot on at around 1000rpm, never had any idling issues with the car before I took it apart (even had comments about how well it idled) - I have tried adjusting the ICV but seems to have little to no effect.

Also, when I move the throttle, it revs as it should, then revs even further by itself!

The plugs previously were NGK BR5E as put in by the previous owner, however, a quick search suggested I use BKR6E, I will try and swap back to the old plugs once the garage clears of smoke :lol:​

Before stripping the engine down, the car ran perfect, no smoke, no hesistation, so what on earth have I done wrong?

Thanks,

Dave

talk2dave

Forgot to add, it's a Phase 1 car

talk2dave

Plugs made little to no difference, having a read around it seems like I need a new coolant temp sensor to stop the over-fuelling? though would that really be the cause for silly excessive overfuelling like i'm experiencing? (Doesn't flood the engine and stall though, just big black clouds out the exhaust)

welshpug

Check the wiring and electrical plugs, poor connection to the afm can cause this.

oak tree garage

just a thought have you managed to mix up the coolant temp sensor wire and wire for the supplimentry air valve (valve that gives cold fast idle)

Tom Fenton

Sounds to me like an air leak causing the high idle. Have you left the bolt that secures the oil filler to the inlet manifold out?

talk2dave

Check the wiring and electrical plugs, poor connection to the afm can cause this.

Have checked all the plugs I can find, there is a green plug located under the coolant expansion tank, have no idea what it is for?

just a thought have you managed to mix up the coolant temp sensor wire and wire for the supplimentry air valve (valve that gives cold fast idle)

Where is the supplementary air valve plug? I've located the coolant temp sensor plug (at the back of the head around from the dizzy) but can't locate the one you mention?

Sounds to me like an air leak causing the high idle. Have you left the bolt that secures the oil filler to the inlet manifold out?

The oil filler bolt was the first one I checked, I've checked all hoses and replaced the brake servo vacuum pipe, will have another check though!

Any ideas on whats causing it to rev more after I press the throttle?

Thanks!

Edited by talk2dave

oak tree garage

it sounld be located under the dizzy its got an air pipe in and out and a two pin plug at the back end from memory i think its a black plug which goes to it

talk2dave

photo1-1.jpg

I've attached a photo of the blue connector which I believe to be the coolant temp sensor, but I can't seem to find the SAD sensor or any black plug around that area?

Have checked and re-checked for leaks and any plugs I can find

talk2dave

So ran two tests today:

1) Ran the car then disconnected the coolant temp sensor, this lowered the idle back to normal.

2) ran the car and disconnected the afm, this lowered the idle back to normal.

Does this mean both parts are screwed?

Still clouds of dark smoke coming from the exhaust, still the same revving issue.