• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rams_gti6

Firing Her Up After Winter Hibernation....

Rams_gti6

Just been out to the two zero, went to start it up and boom, flat battery. Great. Found a friend willing to

give me a push down the street and it just wouldn't bump off. I appreciate the fuel might have gone off

but that wasn't the problem it was the strange noise it was making when I dropped the clutch. Bearing in

mind a week before putting her away for winter I change the gearbox but I drove it home from the lockup

back to my house so know that's not the issue. I've charged a battery and connected it up tonight but

again when I tried to fire it up the strange whizzing noise was there again and it wouldn't fire. It sound

like the starter has fallen off (or nearly) but it looks tight on and it has been started a few times over

winter just not for a few months.

Any ideas what might have happened? Seems strange as it hasn't moved out if the garage!

Rams_gti6

Could I have sheared the teeth off the starter?

Slo

more like its solenoid has gone stiff through being sat cold for a long time, try warming it up with a heat gun but dont over do it

Rams_gti6

But it is turning over as it fired up for a brief moment but the gone off fuel made it die straight away...

welshpug

highly unlikely its the fuel, I've fired cars up on 4 year old fuel just fine.

Rams_gti6

Maybe the starter then I'm going to whip it off see what's going on.