• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
East_Hud

Mi16 Loom Salvagable?

East_Hud

Hi

I have also finished my track car build but as many have I am stuck at the wiring stage. I got an mi16 engine loom with it but have been told it has been butchered and is not worth trying to rescue.

Could I get some opinions as to whether you guys would agree? It appears some plugs have been cut.

post-23320-0-02371000-1399547937_thumb.jpg

Plugs on there:

post-23320-0-55679300-1399547968_thumb.jpg

2 wires near ECU plug

post-23320-0-77888400-1399548019_thumb.jpg

ECUpost-23320-0-00668100-1399547964_thumb.jpg

Middle Parts

post-23320-0-43958500-1399547965_thumb.jpg

Any help advice would be greatly appreciated. Is it salvagable?

Cheers

post-23320-0-47096400-1399547959_thumb.jpg

Anthony

From what I can see at a glance, that doesn't look too bad and I can't immediately see why that wouldn't be fairly straight forward to put right. It's not like it's fire damaged or been hacked in half.

The only thing I'm struggling to make out is the ignition side - coil plug and ignition amp. Are they there?

Given that I can't see the original 405 brown plugs at a glance, do I assume that somone has converted that previously for 205 use (or got part way through doing so)?

East_Hud

Hi Ant,

Yes i got it from a guy that had it in a running 205 already apparently but I am now starting to doubt this!

Which part were the brown plugs attached to originally?

Re coil and amp plug..i dont know tbh i thought they were in the middle in the picture with my smart hand?

Thanks Again, sorry for ignorance I have searched lots!

Anthony

The coil plug will be a 4 pin brown plug that's a different style to the others, and the ignition amp plug will be a 7 pin plug similar in style to the others on that loom (eg #4). These should be towards the right hand side on the top picture, but I can't see them.

If these are missing then it's certainly a bit of a pain, but not insurmountable (depending how far back they've been cut of course)

The original 405 brown plugs where it joined the rest of the car loom would have been somewhere bottom right from memory, but if it had been in a 205 these would have been removed as part of the conversion.

East_Hud

Cheers again Ant. Need to have a good think as I dont want to pay £325 to get it sorted.

Hud

unariciflocos

Maybe you can try Autodata to see where each wire goes (they should have numbers on them).

Just hook it up and see if it works, in theory each connector will only fit in its right place.

Haven't played with the standard ECU setup in two years so my memory of things is a bit rusty but here goes: No 1 will be injectors, batch injection so order should not matter and Supplimentary Air Device (gray plug) , 2 diagnostics, 3 unused, 4 AFM?, 5 Permanent live, 6 Flywheel speed sensor, 7 water temperature sensor.

Looks like you're missing the ignition amp and coil plug to get the engine running. Do not forget to connect up all earths, never ignore earths!

There may also be relays that feed the coil and injectors, those need a switched live I believe to close, but may be confusing management versions here.

Good luck!

East_Hud

Cheers for that.

Re the missing ignition amp and coil plug are they likely to be the two wires by my thumb in penultimate PIC?

Thanks again

East_Hud

Though thinking about it they should have more than 1 wire each.

I hate f****** wiring! Ha

unariciflocos

As Anthony said, the ignition amp will be a 7 terminal connector (4 or 5 wires connected though) and the coil plug should be a 4 terminal roundish connector. You can't miss them if they're there.

It's easily salvageable, you just need a wiring diagram, multimeter with a buzzer, soldering iron, heat shrink and some spare wire and connectors. I've built a whole loom from scratch in two afternoons, but as with everything electrical, a good wiring diagram is key.

6 may also be TPS, but put up some more detailed pics of all the connectors.

EDIT: And here you have a wiring diagram. At a first glance 103 will be your coil, 105 the ignition amp. 127.gif

Edited by unariciflocos

East_Hud

Awesome. Thanks