• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sp_en_ny

Engine And Suspension Upgrades

sp_en_ny

Hi Everyone,

Originally I thought I would keep my CTI as original as possible, but I have kind of falling for it and enjoy driving it so much I have now decided I would like to get a bit more from it and just keep on enjoying it.

I have been contemplating doing an engine upgrade and looking at getting a 2.0 16v engine, I have no intention of using this car as a track car and will therefore always be a road car.

Is there anyone who has regretted the engine upgrade and if so why ? those that have done it was it the best thing you did ?

With regards to on going servicing and repair costs is it a pain and much more expensive and are insurance costs a ridiculously high premium ?

If I did the engine upgrade I would obviously look at upgrading the suspension and breaks either beforehand or at the same time. However as said I dont want to ruin the ride, it will never be a track car and so whilst I don't mind a little compromise of performance over ride comfort I don't want to go to far.

Thoughts and suggestions most welcome. I also know next to nothing about car mechanics, whilst I plan to learn some bits I would mostly have to pay someone to carry out most of the more involved work.

Thanks

jackherer

I put a 1.9 Mi16 and full GTI suspension into my mates CTI and he drove it to work (Chelmsford to London) every day for years. Get some quotes for insurance, I've had it go down for a modified engine before so you never know until you try.

Anthony

I'm not sure that I would go as far as to say regret, but certainly I'm not exactly smittent with the GTi-6 conversion on mine.

The good points are much as you'd expect:

• It's considerably quicker than an 8v and I would say plenty quick enough for a road going 205
  • Idling and general manners are a considerable step up from a typical Jetronic 8v
  • Parts are all off the shelf and commonly available
  • It all fits reasonably nicely (if rather snuggly!) with a little fettling and adjustment
  • Induction noise (particularly with resonator removed) is much improved over the mute 8v
  • The engines are typically new enough that they don't need a rebuild
Bad points however:
  • The extra weight over the nose is noticeable
  • The engine does subjectively seem a bit devoid of character
  • Some maintenance jobs become an utter pain because there's so little room compared to the 8v
  • The need for at least part uprated engine mounts noticeably increases NVH
  • More complexity than a simple 8v and in particular sensor/coil/ICV issues aren't exactly uncommon
  • If you're paying someone else to do the job, it's a lot of money to do properly to a high standard.
Many will disagree, but personally, I'm increasingly of the opinion that for a road going 205 the best all round road going setup out there is fresh standard or mildly uprated suspension and a good 1.9 8v engine on Motronic, or if you really want more power and you do it properly, a 1.9 Mi16 conversion.

Miles

As above really a good 8v on decent management is the best route or the proper TT you get a very quick car without any downsides really, Just finding the parts is difficult these days

scbond

Personally, I would keep it as standard as possible. I know the temptations of engine changing myself as well but with the 205 I feel like I have to keep it standard as there are so few left now. However, it is entirely up to you.

As for insurance...it depends on the car, you, where you live and so many other factors which nobody here can really answer for you.

• Like 1

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Hi Everyone,

Originally I thought I would keep my CTI as original as possible, but I have kind of falling for it and enjoy driving it so much I have now decided I would like to get a bit more from it and just keep on enjoying it.

I have been contemplating doing an engine upgrade and looking at getting a 2.0 16v engine, I have no intention of using this car as a track car and will therefore always be a road car.

Is there anyone who has regretted the engine upgrade and if so why ? those that have done it was it the best thing you did ?

With regards to on going servicing and repair costs is it a pain and much more expensive and are insurance costs a ridiculously high premium ?

If I did the engine upgrade I would obviously look at upgrading the suspension and breaks either beforehand or at the same time. However as said I dont want to ruin the ride, it will never be a track car and so whilst I don't mind a little compromise of performance over ride comfort I don't want to go to far.

Thoughts and suggestions most welcome. I also know next to nothing about car mechanics, whilst I plan to learn some bits I would mostly have to pay someone to carry out most of the more involved work.

Thanks

Hi,

If you need any help with modified car insurance then please feel free to give us a try. If you wanted to PM me your details I'd be happy to arrange for one of my quotes team to give you a call back.

Regards,

Dan.

sp_en_ny

Thanks for your comments, very much appreciated. So to conclude the overall consensus would be to keep pretty much as is. My brain is telling me this is the right thing to do but I have this little devil perched on my shoulder whispering to me that we want more power.

Miles, would you be the same Miles who on many forums are referred to as the 205 gti drivers resident expert when it comes to 205's ? When you say good management would you mind elaborating a bit more and what do you mean by TT ? Where about are you in the UK and do you entertain taking on work from forum members ?

Suspension wise I was looking at the Eibach springs to lower the front by 30mm and looking at Bilstein B6 front and back. However the Bilsteins aren't cheap, no doubt you get what you pay for but are there any slightly cheaper alternatives that perform the same ?

If I lower the front I assume you should lower the rear by the same amount so that you keep everything level ? When it comes to lowering the rear what is the correct procedure ? I don't want to know the easiest or cheapest. I think I have read two articles one explains you simply move the rear beam on to another spline ??? another went into detail about drilling something or other. As you can see I am not the most technical.

Dan, I am already insured with yourselves would you be able to retrieve my current cover and provide a rough quote on the engine upgrade.

Thanks everyone.

Alan_M

Thanks for your comments, very much appreciated. So to conclude the overall consensus would be to keep pretty much as is. My brain is telling me this is the right thing to do but I have this little devil perched on my shoulder whispering to me that we want more power.

Miles, would you be the same Miles who on many forums are referred to as the 205 gti drivers resident expert when it comes to 205's ? When you say good management would you mind elaborating a bit more and what do you mean by TT ? Where about are you in the UK and do you entertain taking on work from forum members ?

Suspension wise I was looking at the Eibach springs to lower the front by 30mm and looking at Bilstein B6 front and back. However the Bilsteins aren't cheap, no doubt you get what you pay for but are there any slightly cheaper alternatives that perform the same ?

If I lower the front I assume you should lower the rear by the same amount so that you keep everything level ? When it comes to lowering the rear what is the correct procedure ? I don't want to know the easiest or cheapest. I think I have read two articles one explains you simply move the rear beam on to another spline ??? another went into detail about drilling something or other. As you can see I am not the most technical.

Miles is an proper old-timer on 205s, so yes, it is likely to be him. He's somewhere in the New Forest down south on the way to Bournemouth.

The 205 TT is the Turbo Technics conversion offered back in the day, turbocharged 1.9 8v with a 5th injector. Can't remember the power outputs, but MattCony's (old member) was played with (circa 200bhp) and went like a rocket.

To lower rear beam properly, it'll have to be pulled to pieces, rebuilt to the specified ride height using dummy shocks and rotating the bars till they fit. There is a guide by Wurzel on the main 205GTiDrivers homepage on a rebuild. If the beam is original, no doubt parts will be difficult to separate requiring a press/pullers. If you're lucky, new bearings/seals and shafts, unlucky you'll have to source a new beam tube and they're getting scarce.

sp_en_ny

Hi Alan,

Would I be better than to buy a refurbished beam ? I have seen them for about £400 and try and use my existing one in part exchange ? If I am looking at a refurb one should I got for a standard 205 gti with disc break set up or I have read some use a 306 or 309 ?

Currently I have drums on my cti.

Thanks