• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gruffa

Saviour

gruffa

Well my 205 finally arrived today so thought i would take a quick picture before it got cleaned.

Few questions. What's the best way to get the skirting off and where's the best place to get an ignition barrel/door lock set from?

post-20048-0-43637300-1399403897_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Edp

When you say skirting do you mean the door and arch trim?

Its not easy removing these in one piece.

* The door trims will come off the easiest, carefully remove the red insert by prising it from the plastic clips which hold them on. These plastic clips then slide to one side and drop off the door rivets. You can then lift the trim upwards and unveil the rusty clips which hold them to the door.

* The front arch trims are held on with two large push in clips which also hold the red insert in place so again prise this off first. You'll probably need a big flat bladed screwdriver to remove the two clips which pass through the arch trim into the arch itself. Then you have a number of hog clips ( like round washers with teeth ) which hold the trim to the arch and front bumper. This is were it gets a bit tricky. You can carefully prise these off from the inside of the arch. They are a pain to get too so you might end up feeing a couple then slowly levering the trim away. Careful though as these can snap really easy. A small lever bar is your friend working on the hog rings one by one.

* The rear arch trim is held on with a mixture of rivet clips ( again under the red insert ) and hog rings. Just take your time and you should be ok. Fixing trim kits can be bought from ebay and were still available from Peugeot but I'm not sure if they still stock them.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-205-GTI-Wheel-Arch-Trim-Fixing-Kit-NEW-/390081681183?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3A205&hash=item5ad2ae171f

Look forward to seeing some pictures :)

gruffa

looks like he has used a bit of putty or something on the front trim and the wheelarch ones are screwed to the bumper so probably gonna invest in a straight set and re-paint em.

Edp

Keep any parts that are salvageable. The trims are no longer available from Peugeot.

Rock Lobster

Yep, keep every little clip and bracket etc because some of the little stuff is getting hard to find I have found.

Alan77

Bumper and trim fixing kits are still available. Preserve your red strips as best you can (until the reproduction group buy gets going)...

gruffa

Well, it would seem that the previous owner was a bit uncoof as I have started to "gently" remove the trim only to find that it hasn't got any fixing but instead has been puttied and screwed to the body, I think I can save most the trim "bar 2 bits" but the red stripes are a bit ruined, and i now have a car covered in black putty lumps...... lol

gruffa

Here it is after a quick clean, just started taking trim off and you can see where they stuck it down :angry:

post-20048-0-67387500-1399454768_thumb.jpg

post-20048-0-66875400-1399454779_thumb.jpg

GLPoomobile

* The front arch trims are held on with two large push in clips which also hold the red insert in place so again prise this off first. You'll probably need a big flat bladed screwdriver to remove the two clips which pass through the arch trim into the arch itself.

The way I've always done the front arches, is to leave the short red trim in place and prise the back of the arch away from the wing with my fingers. Carefully lifting from the bottom. This pulls the barbed plugs out of the wing with the arch, and there's enough meat on the arch here that there's not too much risk of breaking any plastic if you are slow and careful.

Reason I prefer to leave the red trim on when I do this bit is that it removes any risk of bending or damaging the strip by trying to prise it off the arch first.

gruffa

Progress so far: have removed trim and wipers, have scrapped most the putty off (took some paint with it) can anyone recommend how to get it off completely or should i just sand it down as prob was gonna respray it anyway?

Tried to remove wheels but nuts are solid, sprayed em with WD and gonna leave em a while and hopefully try again, then I'm gonna remove front & rear skirts and bumpers. :D

Mac Crash

is the putty tacky/soft or hardened? in which case it might be tiger seal... petrol/thinners should remove it if it's soft... and still save the paint (will need cut) just be careful and don't overdo it, although others might know a better method, this has worked for me.

WD40 won't do anything for wheel nuts, you'll need a torque wrench/breaker bar with a good 19mm socket to break the torque on the nuts... or an impact air gun.

gruffa

putty was hard, tried white spirit but to no avail.

Tom Fenton

* The door trims will come off the easiest, carefully remove the red insert by prising it from the plastic clips which hold them on. These plastic clips then slide to one side and drop off the door rivets. You can then lift the trim upwards and unveil the rusty clips which hold them to the door.

Theres a better way to do this which is to leave the red stripe where it is. Get a small screwdriver, look carefully and find the black clips which hold the red stripe. Push the black clips sideways which releases them from the rivets on the door. When all of them are done the stripe will come away from the trim with the clips still held in the stripe. This way means you don't have to lever at the stripe hence don't risk damaging it. All the more important as they are becoming increasingly difficult to get.

GLPoomobile

Good tip Tom.

I always used to slide the door strips off of those clips. So lift the rear end of the red strip and slide it off, which means sliding it over the ridge in the black/grey plastic trim at the door edge. Not massively difficult but quite fiddly and poses the risk of bending the red strip and/or scratching the black/grey plastic trim. Next time I have to do this I'm going to try your method ;)

gruffa

Would have helped if there was clips holding it on and not 20 lbs of putty :lol:

The red strip was pink and split all along so gonna chuck it and see what i can sort for it.

Have now got the wheels off and is up on bricks so will hopefully start on the skirts and bumper 2moz, as long as that aint held on my half tonne of putty too :(

welshpug

please get some axle stands, bricks are not safe.

Edp

Theres a better way to do this which is to leave the red stripe where it is. Get a small screwdriver, look carefully and find the black clips which hold the red stripe. Push the black clips sideways which releases them from the rivets on the door. When all of them are done the stripe will come away from the trim with the clips still held in the stripe. This way means you don't have to lever at the stripe hence don't risk damaging it. All the more important as they are becoming increasingly difficult to get.

Yep great shout. Although I don't intend on taking mine off AGAIN for a very long time :)

Edp

Would have helped if there was clips holding it on and not 20 lbs of putty :lol:

The red strip was pink and split all along so gonna chuck it and see what i can sort for it.

Have now got the wheels off and is up on bricks so will hopefully start on the skirts and bumper 2moz, as long as that aint held on my half tonne of putty too :(

As Mei said axle stands are a must and not overly expensive. Bricks are downright dangerous :o

Good luck with the bumpers. I trust there will be plenty of sheared rusty bolts and expletives tomorrow!

gruffa

Will invest in some, bricks are just temporary so I can store the alloys away so some little weasel doesn't try and nick em.... lol

• Like 1

gruffa

Well I finally managed to get the wheels off yesterday along with the back skirt and bumper only for the corner bracket to fall off the car :(

Does any know/have a set of rear bumper bracket anywhere as i'm gonna weald 2 new ones on for the corners and replace the back two with new bolts :unsure:

post-20048-0-70000000-1399711627_thumb.jpg

post-20048-0-67344900-1399711638_thumb.jpg

Rock Lobster

There was a guy reproducing the bumper brackets on here fairly recently mate, not sure if has has any left or plans to make more though.

gruffa

ahhh, i'll keep a look out in the for sale section, cheers

mrfirepro

Always good to see another local 205 being restored, good luck and give me a shout if you need any help

gruffa

Will prob need loads of help, never done anything like this before.... :lol:

Got a few questions to chuck out there:

1: Was gonna take take my engine out and was wonder if it was better to sell it as a whole or strip it down and sell it for parts? I was told that it was running before being left but it has an immobiliser and has 150k on the clock but i removed the Rad pipes and the water was still clear so I don't think the head is gone. :)

2: Am not sure whether to put an Mi16 or GTi-6 engine in? What would be easier? Are the engine mounts the same? Will it fit to the exhaust without modifying the car?