• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jshep205gti

Buying A 205 Gti In 2014

forbeslongden

Anyway, I always find the 1.9 and Rallye go for decent pennies whereas the 1.6 and Gentry models seem to go for very little.

audiobull

there still overpriced no matter how you look at it. look what else you can get for £3000.

Leon

there still overpriced no matter how you look at it. look what else you can get for £3000.

The "look what else you can get" for however much argument is always flawed, because buying an older car is an emotional decision. People pay £8,000 for 1980's Corollas, that money could be used on cars that are much "better".

£3,000 overpriced for a 205 GTI? Not if you want one and like them.

• Like 2

speno

One of the reasons there are so few left is the obsession that many members of this forum have with scrapping and/or breaking easily repairable cars.

I've never known a one make forum like it.

I've broke s*it loads of shed 205's , all of which the parts have gone to save better cars

braking one at the moment , its rusty all over needs lots of work, respray , beam etc

It ain't worth saving

I want to know where are all these buyers when i sell a GTI ?

All i get is nice looking car mate but no one gets of their arse to come over and view them

You can still find them you just have to be proactive

willis

I think there are 83 counties in England, so if there are circa 5500 left that means there are 66 on average in each county. I'd say that's probably about right. If the ones on the road figure is correct then there are more like 20.

In devon I have only seen 9 or 10 different ones over the last few years and only 1 so far this year.

• Like 1

m_attt

Come to plymouth then. I drive a lorry see at least one a day.

forbeslongden

I think there are 83 counties in England, so if there are circa 5500 left that means there are 66 on average in each county. I'd say that's probably about right. If the ones on the road figure is correct then there are more like 20.

In devon I have only seen 9 or 10 different ones over the last few years and only 1 so far this year.

I agree, here in Plymouth there are very few 205 GTi's, plenty of base models but if we counted base models in the currently taxed bracket it would take us closer to 9,000 approx, this covers CTI, Style, STDT, Gentry, GTX, GTi Auto and of course, base models.

Most GTi models are located in Wales from various Gumtree and eBay searches. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for people breaking rusty 205's that are 'past it' but there are folk (not here as a general rule) who break them just because they are worth more in bits which is a travesty. The 205 is fast becoming like an animal we know will become endangered if we keep hunting it.

Come to plymouth then. I drive a lorry see at least one a day.

Probably mine :P

m_attt

:) when you spend a lot of time on the road, there not as rare as you think :)

willis

Come to plymouth then. I drive a lorry see at least one a day

They'll all be cut'n'shuts in Plymuff :-)

forbeslongden

They'll all be cut'n'shuts in Plymuff :-)

A sour subject for at least one user on the forum.

• Like 1

Ams

The current pricing of 205's isn't as much of an issue with first time 205 buyers/owners because they don't have the same historical price reference points that returning owners have. Bear in mind not all virgin buyers have the time, ability, know-how or willingness to research on how to rebuild and rejuvenate average 205 examples. They want good quality turnkey examples and are prepared to pay prices that experienced, knowledgeable owners will refuse to. I'm almost in that boat myself and I've only owned mines a bleedin year! Prices are definitely higher (on average) compared to when I was hunting the market this time last year.

farmer

Mustn't be any left in Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland I guess.

audiobull

there is still loads of comments about the overpriced 205's as if they are actually selling. do we know that people are buying these? they have been for sale for a long time.

If i was returning to a 205 which i am i would not be buying one for £3000. Yes i can get a lot more car for my money. no they are not a 205 gti and although i love the car, its getting rare, i would not pay £3000 or £8000 or actually £12990!!!!!

Ive looked at getting a merc 190e cosworth again (some time ago). when i saw they had sky rocked just like ive seen the 205's but they were actually selling for £8000 i walked away from them.

At least with a 205 you can get cheap ones that need work doing that you know will be done properly. I expect the ones that look restored have some hidden nasties about. most are dealers so certainly will.

I am not going to compare it as it is nothing like it but just think of how many saxo's were sold. same with the 205's back in the day. they were the affordable hot hatch not a luxury sports car or super car. I repeat i am in no way comparing it to a saxo but trying to explain the sales.

mowflow

Although my sorn'd in bits project is tucked up in the garage I periodically look at what's for sale. It's always seemed to me that there are more for sale in Wales, northern Ireland and the south coast than anywhere else. There is almost nothing here in Scotland.

My car originated from Poole then somehow made its way to south Wales. The guy I bought it from was from coventry. He was a delivery driver and said he'd spotted it parked in Wales with a for sale sign on. Claims he sees them quite often in that area. Personally, I can't remember the last time I seen one on the road anywhere.

The one thing that people always seem to overlook with the remaining example figures is how many are actually still 1.6 or 1.9s. When you then add in the question of how many of those are half parsed track slags with dodgy cages and no interior and/or how many are still straight. I'd bet you will be looking at hundreds rather than thousands.

• Like 2

willis

I was speaking hypothetically, besides, there are only around another 10 or so if you include the other parts of the UK so the figures aren't really affected.

I think you get the picture.....

audiobull

Theres a lovely looking example on ebay at the moment. looks perfect bodywork wise. then you look at the inside and its been caged and bucket seats (no rears) but still with the red carpet. Shame as it would have been a lovely example. the price is up there too and has been for the past 4 weeks ive been looking.

welshpug

22 counties in wales.

welshpug

33 in scotland, and 6 in northern ireland.

forbeslongden

I'd be interested to know how many 205's are still in circulation in the whole world....

willis

That's my geography out the window then!

willis

That said there can't be many in the depths of Scotland (this is where I get attacked by the highland GTI owners club!)

• Like 1

farmer

North of Manchester doesn't count for you lot down on the south coast

• Like 1

audiobull

should £2500 get a decent running, road worthy 205 1.9 gti? with tax and mot. I have much more cash sitting here waiting but i would rather spend £2500 on a good car and the rest to make it 100%. for £2500 what should people be expecting?

Rust? where and how much

history?

what about interior?

kinda getting fed up waiting for the "right" one when there is plenty of right ones but they are over priced massively.

Leon

kinda getting fed up waiting for the "right" one when there is plenty of right ones but they are over priced massively.

If they're nearly all "over priced" then they probably aren't over priced at all - just priced at more than you want to personally pay.

Edited by Leon
  • Like 2