• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johnhenry

Strict 1.0 Engine (Tu9). How To Increase Power?

johnhenry

Evening all

My mate and I are going to be attempting an adventure/survival rally (mongol rally), and we have decided the 205 will be our trusty steed.

The regs are for a 1.0 maximum capacity. which does rather govern our choices.

would there be any way to increase output from the 1.0 205 engine?

from basic wikipeadia'ing a later fuel injection engine will boost power a little,

just wondered if there was any way to increase power/reliability/durability?

Cheers

John

• Like 1

allye

I thought on the mongol they had to be 10yrs or younger?

Toddy

Tu3s carb & manifold worth a try

Tom Fenton

Put a 1400 in bit claim it to be a 1000 ?

Ryan

You probably want reliability over power on a rally like that.

You might have to run on low-quality fuel (92 RON is common in Russia, and you'll find fuel in the 80s at remote petrol stations in the middle of nowhere).

Edited by Ryan

2052NV

wow sooo jealous your attempting that! You must keep us updated with progress especially during or after the rally!

Best thing to do would just be replace everything thing, all easy engine seals, filters, belts, hoses, leads, bearings etcetctetc

the put a rowdy exhaust on and carbs as they are much easier to diagnose/ pull apart and fix in the middle of mongolia. Injection is more complex and therefore more things can go wrong....... keep it simple pimple :)

calvinhorse

Sorry to say this but the 954cc is possibly the slowest peugeot engine ever! I live in the Peak District and a lot of the hills around here I've had to drop into first by the top!!!

New plugs

Standard airbox with new filter

Strip as much weight out as humanly possible!

Or sneek a 1124cc engine in, they are so much better and can even be classed as nippy!

Or buy a Vw polo coupe 1054cc best ~1000cc car I've ever owned and can be described as fast!

• Like 1

Lowercase

i have a TU9 in my little XE. with the 4 speed gear box. its pretty tragic. i love it, but it's tragic!

sits at 45 mph most of the time, drops to 30mph at the slightest incline. had it up to 60mph for a few seconds before chickening out.

credit to it though, it hasnt put a foot wrong.

johnhenry

Thanks for all the help!

They have scrapped the '10 years or younger' rule, along with a couple of other things, which has made it more accessible :D

there are certain rules/exceptions where slightly larger engines are okay, so maybe a 1.1 or 1.4 could happen, just got to be pretty out there/publicity for the rally i guess.

plans are afoot!

be prepared to see many begging for parts in the wanted section. anything cool goes haha :D

welshpug

if you want a TU9 to go faster, get it wrapped in an AX :D

• Like 1

309jazzpanda

Why do people say carbs are more simple than injection? So many more things to go wrong in a carb

• Like 1