• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
AdamF

Dealing With A Cut & Shut

AdamF

As most of you know, I bought this car about 5 weeks ago now, looked good at the viewing and actually drove home really well!

IMG_5787.jpg

IMG_5788.jpg

IMG_5790.jpg

To be frank, the car turned out to be a really bad cut and shut! My fault for not checking it over properly.

IMG_6171.jpg

IMG_6170.jpg

Previous owner said he knew nothing about it, rather than get pissed off about it I decided the only way out of this mess was to reshell, and quickly before I lost my motivation. Luckily a red 1.9 shell was sourced almost immediately by the excellent 'aarontrophy', a user on here who I've trusted with carrying out all the work on my car.

image-1.jpg

image-3.jpg

I purchased a Gti6 engine to boost morale:

image-7.jpg

Aaron and co stripped the old cut n shut of everything bar the shell and sent it off to be destroyed:

image-8.jpg

So currently the new shell has had the rear beam replaced and front suspension swapped over. My interior has gone into it and the Gti6 engine has been dropped in. Loom is pretty much finished also. Waiting on braided brake lines and a uprated gear linkage kit.

IMG_6404.jpg

IMG_6407.jpg

Plastics are all being treated as we speak and exhaust soon to be fitted. Shouldn't be too long now before its on the road!

Massive thanks to Aaron so far, amazing guy who really knows his stuff. Not only him but his buddy Chris who is just as keen!

welshpug

Nothing at all you can do now the shell is gone, as that was the one piece of evidence you had.

I was talking to someone on the weekend that knows of the seller you bought it from, and there's a good chance it was clocked as well, it had been offered to someone they knew fairly locally.

Edited by welshpug

AdamF

Rather than get bogged down in legalities and finger pointing the best thing was to move on and chalk it up as a life experience.

• Like 2

welshpug

Certainly! Nice to see you bounce back from it so soon, looks a decent enough shell you've found.

audiobull

fair play will be watching/following this thread.

Goliath

Glad you have managed to get another shell so quickly. Progress is looking good, hopefully not long until you will be driving it :)

Personally I would have pursued it further with the police, but then I'm one of those people who believes crimes shouldn't go unpunished!

• Like 1

MiniGibbo

Christ don't see many these days... Very poor too by looks ????

2052NV

the bend in the a-pillar of the black shell is scary!!

DC2T

I didnt know people were still doing them, unless its been done back in the 90s and no one checked

aarontrophy

hi guys this has been a long process and im glad to have another shell and its going really well, the deal with the black one was a kick in the balls, and if the police where involved adam could have lost everything, adam is a decent guy and has been stitched over for it,

anyway moving on bit i have left to do on his new red 205 gti :)

finish loom and get ecu in

secure bonnet

fit water coolant pipes

driveshafts

bolt the front end up

fit trims

finish fitting dashboard trims

mop polish

test drive

then MOT

aarontrophy

I didnt know people were still doing them, unless its been done back in the 90s and no one checked

thats what im thinking DC2T the work looked old and we think it could have been when the OIA number plate was put on it back in 1991, madness that its actully was being driven around like that a few big pot holes would have been game over

rikky

I was actually keen to see engine bay pics of the cut and shut front half!

Edp

Definitely this :D

AdamF

Small update,

Water pipes fitted today and all body trim has been treated ready for fitting.

Also on a very nerdy/sad note, Ive bought a matching red Peugeot touring bike from the late 70s. Gumtree bargain...

IMG_6446.jpgIMG_6447.jpg

IMG_6440.png

audiobull

Thats a different red Adam he he. are you really going to use that? especially when the cars on the road or was it a "ive got one of them" purchases? I do that too.

• Like 1

AdamF

Yeah man, I live in London! Good for the odd job I get in the city!

205 will be used for getting out of London!

GLPoomobile

What part of London? I used to live in Islington, and it always annoyed me that just getting out of London was a journey in itself, so you could never just jump in the car and go for a quick enjoyable spin.

Sorry to go ove old ground, but I was just looking at the photos again in the first post and something occurred to me - I wonder if the person who fitted the SS kick plates on the sills lifted the rubber seals when he did the job, or if he just slid the plates under them. If it was the former, it means that person would have seen the welds and yet must have ignored them!

AdamF

I'm upper holloway, bottom of the a1 pretty

much. Yeah difficult to go for a quick spin but I know a few roads. Family in Yorkshire though. Amazing roads!

As for sills, you are probably right.

GLPoomobile

I used to endure Holloway Road on the way home from working in (S)Hatfield. That was the worst part of my commute.

AdamF

Little update, most jobs are done now.

Just sorting out the downpipe clearance issues and we'll be there. Hopefully get to fire her up soon...

Adam

artois7

Never heard anything back about the doors & boot from the old shell in the for sale thread?

AdamF

Never heard anything back about the doors & boot from the old shell in the for sale thread?

Hi mate,

Apologies, I've been working abroad and Aaron has been completing my new 205, its in for the MOT today. Once Ive collected it then we will focus on selling the old shells parts, we've just been a bit busy.

Thanks

Adam

AdamF

I'm a very happy man, had the pleasure of collecting my car today and driving it back to London.

Aaron & co have done an amazing job, hat goes off!

Here's some pics:

image-11.jpg

image-10.jpg

image-9.jpg

pugdamo

That looks really nice,after all the grief youve had its now time for you to enjoy a 205.

Cheers