• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Henry 1.9GTi

Gearbox Noise On Overrun

Henry 1.9GTi

Hi there,

Not a pug but a Renault, still french and FWD (R26 megane) Plus this forum seems full of people who know stuff unlike most others.

Horrible rattle/grinding/scraping noise on overrun in any gear. Noise dissappears when any load is applied although can still just about hear it with very very light acceleration. Its very loud and sounds like the box is about to make a bid for freedom. All gear changed OK, little bit of whine, also whines badly in neutral.

Been present for 20k miles or so but is definitely getting worse.

Am looking for an excuse to change the diff as the current one feels like an open type right now. Perhaps something to do with it? However, I dont want to spend loads of money on a shiney LSD and find the noise is still there!

Thoughts?

Cheers,

H.

mowflow

I read a thread on here a while ago and actually only found this thread because i was looking for the other one I mentioned.

Basically my 205 had a similar issue when it was on the road. The thread I was looking for covered the problem on someone else's car. It was down to the bearings in the diff being foocked. Cure was to replace the whole diff rather than try to replace the bearings.

Karl

yep its the diff bearings that are worn if you have the money upgrade to a quaife lsd :)