• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
max0

Once Bitten...

max0

Not been active on the forum for a few years. See a few names I reckonise are still around :)

Back behind a white GTi. She pasted her test at the start of the month. Done about 800 miles so far without any major issues. (apart from the petrol bill)

post-7868-0-63650300-1398006944_thumb.jpeg

post-7868-0-39485300-1398006983_thumb.jpeg

post-7868-0-93732300-1398006993_thumb.jpeg

Cheers Andy

Edited by max0

jackherer

Welcome back!

Your 205 looks nice but you should put some orange indicators on it ;)

max0

Welcome back!

Your 205 looks nice but you should put some orange indicators on it ;)

I've got some orange side repeaters to go on. Not sure if this one should have orange fronts as well?

welshpug

certainly should if it has those rear light clusters.

max0

certainly should if it has those rear light clusters.

Cheers I'll add it to the list :) got a rear wheel bearing to swap, crack in the manifold, and clicky starter wiring to resolve

jord294

I'd advise a 306 gti starter, as it's slimmer and gives a better throw when cranking.

max0

I'd advise a 306 gti starter, as it's slimmer and gives a better throw when cranking.

Cheers, I swapped over the starter (both fat old types) and the clicking remained. Need to get the volt meter out. Read the relay trick.

Daviewonder

It'll probably be the brown multi plug near the gearbox.

max0

I've not had a good look yet, but i think the solinoid wire goes straight to the fuse box.

jackherer

Is it an early one? pre 1987 ish? They don't have brown multiplugs and the wire is routed on the passenger side which sounds like what you've found.

Cut the connector off and if the wire is anything other than shiny copper cut more off until it looks good, you might end up very close to the bulkhead. Then splice some new wire in, either solder and heatshrink it or preferably use a solder sleeve.

max0

Its a F reg so 88? I think the previous owner has replaced the wire as it doesnt look standard.

I've swapped the starter for a old one I had in the garage and didnt have issues with on the last car but it has been in the garage a while. Tried another battery of my daily drive. Sometimes it clicks / sometimes it starts first time. I'll clean the earths up tomorrow and have a look with the volt meter to see if i can find a voltage drop.

Tempted to buy a new earth strap. Will see if it improves using the jumper leads on the block / battery

jackherer

If it's an F reg it is definitely a bodge. Test the starter (and ground wiring etc) by holding a wire to the battery + then touching it to the solenoid connector.

m_john_m

Looking good mate! I'm Dieing to get mine on the road :D

max0

Looking good mate! I'm Dieing to get mine on the road :D

cheers :) been the best three weeks driving it after work... Got much todo to yours?

max0

If it's an F reg it is definitely a bodge. Test the starter (and ground wiring etc) by holding a wire to the battery + then touching it to the solenoid connector.

Good idea hadnt really thought of that. I'm guessing I need to turn the key to postion 2 and + to the solenoid and it should start?

Daviewonder

No, just a wire from + to solenoid.

jackherer

Just do it with the ignition off and it will (well, should...) turn over but not fire up. Just make sure it's in neutral first or you'll run yourself over :lol:

max0

Just do it with the ignition off and it will (well, should...) turn over but not fire up. Just make sure it's in neutral first or you'll run yourself over :lol:

is the solnoid the starter trigger wire or the main voltage terminal? I wouldnt have thought putting + to the trigger wire would make the starter spin over with the ignition off?

Edited by max0

jackherer

The solenoid is the smaller wire on the starter, when you turn the key power goes to that wire and the starter turns. It will still do it with the ignition off but like I said the engine wont fire.

max0

The solenoid is the smaller wire on the starter, when you turn the key power goes to that wire and the starter turns. It will still do it with the ignition off but like I said the engine wont fire.

Many thanks.

m_john_m

cheers :) been the best three weeks driving it after work... Got much todo to yours?

It's not ticking over and it needs a service and mot. I can insure it next week so IV got a week to get it ready :P

max0

It's not ticking over and it needs a service and mot. I can insure it next week so IV got a week to get it ready :P

Good luck with the mot :)

Had a spare hour this morning to check out the starter... With a cable direct to the battery + it turned over every time without clicking. Kinda gutted I spent ages changing the stater over now. You live and learn.

Followed the command / solnoid wire back to the glove box and found this...

post-7868-0-18294300-1398079090_thumb.jpeg

Urggh! At first I thought maybe someone has wired up a relay but cant find one. Only one wire comes out of the black connector so not sure what its for.

After going through all that (and more near the starter) the wire ends

post-7868-0-90810400-1398079011_thumb.jpeg

going into the last wire on the right hand side on the first yellow connector. (light blue and with the blue connector on it)

Is that the correct location on the fuse box? and can i remove that fuse (doesnt look standard) Hoping I can just wire in a whole new cable and see if that improves things.

Cheers

Andy

Edited by max0

jackherer

It's hard to know where to start with that, the blue fuse thing is non standard for sure.

I just took this photo of mine but it's a phase two so not quite the same:

post-3-0-97281000-1398083768_thumb.jpg

max0

Had a search on the forum. The light blue wire looks wire 46 the correct solenoid wire :) I guess it's not normally fused? If not ill rip all that other s*ite out.

• Like 1

jackherer

No, the only fuses that should be there are the ones plugged directly in the fuse box.