• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
James Cornell

Bp270 Piper Cam

James Cornell

I am building a new 8v 1.9 engine for my 205 and there is a chap with a BP270 camshaft and as mine is chipped I am tempted to put it into a std head. I plan to run the car on 45's with a std exhaust.

Is this cam going to be too ott for this setup and will I have to do additional headwork to accommodate it?

welshpug

its only a fast road cam, so would work fine on a stock engine, if you went 1.6 pistons you could go 285 or 300 easily without losing any drivability, you'd nicely match a gti6 for torque and power with the wilder cam and extra compression.

to make the most of the longer duration cam you will need to uprate the valve springs so you don't upset them when you rev to make the power, not such a concern as the power band isn't as wide/high on the shorter duration cam (272 is advertised for 6500, 285 7k, 300 7.5k)

James Cornell

My major concern is probably timing i.e. I don't want the piston crowns pinging the valve if the duration is longer. As long as I can put it in and time the engine normally I will be a happy man. I'm not after massive power or a raised rev ceiling but this cam has come up at the right price and I need one for the engine...

welshpug

you'll be fine, there's quite a lot of space in an 8 valve.

petert

It will go ok with a std head, but HEAPS better with a 1mm skim off the head.

James Cornell

I will be having a skim before the rebuild so I will asks him to give it a good skim :-)