• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ian205

Advice On Carb+Ignition Set Up Please

Ian205

I have the opportunity to buy a weber carb set up with MBE programable ignition kit that recently came off a 1600 8v 205 Gti, everything is there, full carb kit and fuel pumps just to programe the mbe tfor my cam etc.

I am cautious tho as the weber kit is 10 years old, it came off a running car producing 155Bhp and is jetted and set up fir 205 ,

Is the carb set up old and past it or should it be ok? Also opinions on the mbe ignition system? I may not use this as I may go for a dta management system but the lot is being sold complete for very reasonable money

Thanks

jdt

Should be a good setup

Not many wearing parts in a carb but a rebuild may be advisable after 10 years.

Carbs will need setting up on a rolling road for your engine.

MBE is fine - it is only doing ignition advance curve

Ian205

I'm not sure if the carb was recently refurbished, it was running fine on previous setup, but we're would I get it refurbished? I will be talking to the man who previously jetted and set them up on the car, the same guy who mapped it, so I will base my decision off that , rolling road is no problem there Is one nest to use in the. Industrial estate

Ian205

I will be talking with the guy who jetted them and set them up on the rolling road the last time they were done, so I will ask him if he refurbished them, if not we're would o get a set refurbished? Or easier to get new carbs?

Rolling road is no problem theres one nezt to us in industrial estate

jdt

refurbishment would be a lot cheaper than new carbs - no idea where to get them done in Ireland but a DIY job is not that difficult

Simes

When you say weber do you mean a pair of webers?

Carb set up will be fine, not as simple or efficient as tb's but still provide fun!

You'll need it on a rolling road though.

Ian205

looks like iv been pipped to the post with this setup, hurt my back yesterday at work so couldnt travell for them this morning and the guy said theree was someone else looking at them, but yes a pair of webers, im not sure if they were ever reconditioned you see, and if the needles and jets or worn it would be overfueling and end up doing damage to the freshly built engine , and since there is not too many places in Ireland that would recondition them they could end up being more hasstle than there worth,

a guy i work with suggested bike throttle bodies from a hiaboosa ( i know thats spelt wrong) , and run a dta managment, what would i need bar a manifold to get a system like this going ?

MikeC

a shed load of cash

boldy205

Look up Eurocarb, very helpful for carb bits/ advice, think they re con them too, be nice for piece of mind.