• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
AdamF

Big Warning To All 205 Buyers...

GLPoomobile

It cant be him, he's a member of the 'good garage' scheme!

Not sure if that was tongue in cheek, but in case it wasn't I'll just point out that being a member of the Good Garage Scheme means squat.

• Like 1

dcc

Not sure if that was tongue in cheek, but in case it wasn't I'll just point out that being a member of the Good Garage Scheme means squat.

FANK EWE CAP TIN OBVY US

• Like 1

Miles

A MOT is only really valid when the car's in the Garage, soon as it's driven off a number of things can happen, If it's the car my mate had (Cannot confirm this until I talk with him) it did have a VIN and was no where near that condition, Mind the number plate could be similar so I could be getting confused or it's been reshelled since

rallyeash

Wow! Don't think I've ever seen a cut and shut for real!

Gutted for you but at least in the long run you'll have much better motor with extra grunt!

GLPoomobile

FANK EWE CAP TIN OBVY US

Eat a d*ck.

• Like 2

AdamF

Tongue was defo int cheek

nveeate

Sorry to see this Adam - looks like a ropey cut and shut even when it was done! The MOT centre may be complicit (or complacent), but a lot of the stuff wouldve been hidden under trim etc. Whilst they may have seen welds underneath, they're really just looking for structural intergrity (and rust can take hold fairly quickly - only really the bit by the exhaust that looks like a fail that wouldve been visible to the tester). Will be interesting to find out what conclusion VOSA come to, if they update you. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Edited by nveeate

aarontrophy

On the MOT cert is advises a blow from the center box, so the MOT tester would have stood underneath it and if he couldnt of seen the rust/hole and the sh*t welding id be very suprised. even the exhaust tunnel hasnt been welded. ive managed to get adam a shell and he has sourced a gti 6 engine off here, looking forward to getting him back in a 205 :)

rikky

the MOT tester might not have stood under the car in the photos though..

I've seen a few, that's on the worser scale anyway :lol:

ablister

A MOT is only really valid when the car's in the Garage, soon as it's driven off a number of things can happen, If it's the car my mate had (Cannot confirm this until I talk with him) it did have a VIN and was no where near that condition, Mind the number plate could be similar so I could be getting confused or it's been reshelled since

You have 3 months after MOT to appeal for corrosion ie if the car was found to have excessive corrosion up to 3 months after the MOT, then the tester can get in bother

johniban

yep, your right you do have i thought it was up2 4 months but im not sure

jack-da-stripper

gutted for you mate , looked like a tidy car from a far ....

AdamF

A little update, the boys in Essex have been busy! Car is completely stripped and just been sent off to be destroyed.

Seeing it completely bare has highlighted how dangerous the thing was, the bulkhead had a mouth! (See pics)

New shell delivered tmrw and gti6 lump coming a few days after, massive thanks to Aaron and co for their work.

image-3.jpg

image-2.jpg

Edp

First time ever its good to see a shell going to the skip!

• Like 3

allanallen

Bet someone wants bits off it before it goes....... :P

Edited by allanallen

Slo

At least they welded it the right way round :lol:

MotorMayhem2.jpg

• Like 1

welshpug

Bet someone wants bits off it before it goes....... :P

hell yeah :lol:

what's the nearside chassis leg like?

jackherer

I've seen loads of 205 bulkheads that look like that just caused by MI16 downpipes running too close to them with no heatshield.

That seam never has much strength, this was my mates 205 after a front ender:

post-3-0-27280700-1398106923_thumb.jpg

mowflow

Glad this has sort of worked out for you OP. There's a thread on detailingworld from that young boy, Jim that is also on here where his first GTi turned out to be a cut and shut after he had spent loads of time working on it. When you see the pics it's easy to say "how the hell could you not notice that" but these things are usually well hidden.

Buyer beware is good advice to anyone with regards to these cars now. It wasn't so bad when they could be bought for £500. If it turned out to be a nail it could be binned/broken for parts with no real loss, but the prices some are fetching now you really have to investigate what you are buying. My car was far from perfect but I knew just enough from my first GTi and the hours reading here to get a rough idea of what to look for.

While looking I did come across several dodgy cars on Gumtree and eBay. Cars with the chassis no stamp missing, insurance write offs that the owners claimed to know nothing about, advertised 1.9s that were registered as 1.6s with the owners knowing nothing and no history. It was a real eye opener for me, being a natural born sceptic saved to some extent.

Good luck with the new car.

• Like 1

AdamF

Yep this has been a massive learning curve for me. Sort of mistake you only make once (hopefully)

nveeate

I remember it being hard enough to find a straight one when I was buying them in my yoof - and they were only 5 or 6 years old then!

mowflow

I'm a bit surprised about some of the MOT comments here. I don't really place much faith and the piece of paper. There can be a vast difference in quality of tester and I think most of the big national garages simply use it as a free money scheme.

Every town has at least 1 garage where you can turn up and get an MOT without even taking the car in if you have all the details, cash in your pocket and you know the right names.

Slo

Paul do you know what his username is on detailing world or happen to have the thread link to hand? I'd like to see that.

mowflow

DW thread here

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=210447

The guy is only like 16 or something, does all the work in his parents front garden. He's a member here as I've seen one of his other projects in the projects section on here. He might not always do things as the purists would but admire his drive and what he does on a shoe string. Felt really sorry for the boy getting burned on this car.