• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ian205

Max Power Output Fom 8V 1600?

Ian205

well guys i have my engine out at the monent for repairs to the shell,

i want to do some engine work, but theres just so much to choose from for the 205 i dont really know what way i want to go about it,

the car already has

piper highlift cam

kent cam pulley

full magnex system

thats all aftermarket parts iv found while stripping, what sort of power should my 205 be pushing out with these mods alone?

im keeping it 8v, what other supporting mods can i add to the cam etc to gain more power?

what would ye recomend for a 'dream' set up engine/ transmittion side of things ?

thanks

Edited by Ian205

welshpug

add throttle bodies and an ecu, transmission depends on use really, but the head does need some double springs if it hasn't already got some, as a lumpy cam will give them quite a workout as will the higher RPM needed to get power out of a 1600.

hexhamstu

put a 1.9 engine in it.....

pugdamo

put a 1.9 engine in it.....

We dont want to go there again,keep the 1.6 i think ;-)

• Like 1

jdt

standard injection limits what you can do - your current mods are about as far as it is worth going.

Power comes from revs and airflow so cylinder head is most important item, a properly ported head with big inlet valves and 3 angle seats skimmed to give correct compression ratio is essential for big power

Next step is to get some fuel into it so twin dcoe carbs if you are on a budget or ultimate is throttle bodies with an aftermarket ecu if you can afford it

Maso

use a header exhaust if TB's are too expensive, wont give as much bhp but will do the "some" magic.

acox99

What sort of power increase would be expected from the current setup?

Tom Fenton

The thing is, you can spend a lump of money on your 1600 8v to get maybe 150bhp. Or you can spend probably about the same on putting a GTI6 motor in for 170bhp. For most people its an easy choice!

Personally I like to do something different so I turbocharged my 1600 8v and it makes just over 200bhp.

welshpug

A cheap 8v 1.9 build along the lines of the parts you have can match a gti6 build power wise and weigh a lot less, possibly cost wise too if you already have 8v hoses etc.

dcc

for consideration

Ecu, Loom, mapping, engine, throttle bodies, consumables, pipes, various other related bits - you're soon looking at 4-5k.

Simes

for consideration

Ecu, Loom, mapping, engine, throttle bodies, consumables, pipes, various other related bits - you're soon looking at 4-5k.

He's right you know :ph34r:

205freak

I believe its all about the money, take my example im building a xu5ja with std bottom end and extensive head work(free) with SBC gr. A cam(100£), double springs(20£) kent pulley(25£), and just bought from a bloke on wales an emerald k3 + loom(400£) now just trying to see if i can find a set of throttle bodies.

I believe you can build a good engine if you buy and find the parts you need at the right price.

Just keep 8v

jdt

150bhp is achievable on twin carbs for a fraction of 4-5k,

perfect for track or competition use but not nice for a daily driver

What do you plan to do with the car?

MikeC

If it is a road going car he will be restricted by NCT/MOT.

And seeing that any car after 83 will be required to be tested every year, and the bull**it we have to contend with around emissions, it could be all for nothin'.

welshpug

a properly mapped car will not have any MOT issues.

MikeC

a properly mapped car will not have any MOT issues.

For sure. but they are trying their best to fail old post 83 cars over here to get them off the road.

jdt

Pre 1992 emissions test is not strict - any healthy engine should pass an emissions test, may need a little tweak of the idle mixture at the most.

Ian205

i would be dead happy with 150 bhp, over the moon actually, at the moment the car is being built as a ' road legal track car' shell is stripped and will be perfect after rebuild, may go down the line of road rallying down the line, it will over be a weekend car, or a special occasion car even, i want to get remapped and throttle bodies, maybe even a diff etc, just want a well set up car all around, i have bilstein suspension , the body will be perfect and its down to engine/transmition ,

i dont mind spending big bucks, i may even get custom loom made up for whenever i go down the throttle body route, trying to find someone in Ireland to port/polish the head properly.. i dont want to do a half assed job on it

alync406

150bhp is possible with throttle bodies, head work and the right cams. I have 145bhp from mine - it has 405 Sri pistons to up the compression ratio, ported head with 3 angle valve seats and motorbike throttle bodies. I was told by the man that mapped it for me that it would make over 150 if the throttle bodies were bigger as they only have 38mm butterfly's, I am happy with it at the min though anyway cause it has good torque from low down the revs and don't want losing that just for a few more bhp at the top end.

Have seen a few cars which have power in the 150's which have webber carbs and have had the head ported & polished by westward engineering in Enfield, Co.Meath http://www.westwardeng.com

allanallen

i would be dead happy with 150 bhp, over the moon actually, at the moment the car is being built as a ' road legal track car' shell is stripped and will be perfect after rebuild, may go down the line of road rallying down the line, it will over be a weekend car, or a special occasion car even, i want to get remapped and throttle bodies, maybe even a diff etc, just want a well set up car all around, i have bilstein suspension , the body will be perfect and its down to engine/transmition ,

i dont mind spending big bucks, i may even get custom loom made up for whenever i go down the throttle body route, trying to find someone in Ireland to port/polish the head properly.. i dont want to do a half assed job on it

Check out the regs for road rallying, no individual throttle bodies allowed :(

welshpug

Irish regs different maybe?

allanallen

Irish regs different maybe?

Didn't realise he was in Ireland, may well be different.

Sounds like it's gonna be too nice to bash around the lanes anyway!

Ian205

as far as i know only regs for tarmac rally here in ireland is it has to be naturally aspirated, unless your in a very specific class, for example class 10F with is for 1600 fwd is unlimited it just has to be n/a

allanallen

as far as i know only regs for tarmac rally here in ireland is it has to be naturally aspirated, unless your in a very specific class, for example class 10F with is for 1600 fwd is unlimited it just has to be n/a

Road rallying is a different kettle of fish all together to Tarmac rallying in the uk.

alync406

What road rally's are in the uk are run as night navigations in Ireland and I am fairly sure throttle bodies aren't allowed because of the noise. They are definitely totally different. You definitely wouldn't be using a road car for Tarmac rallying either, it's either a road car or a rally car!