• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
davey205

Misfire When Hot

davey205

Have changed plugs, leads, rotor arm, dizzy cap, ECU temp sensor, TPS switch and oil it was fine when I put it away in 2012 this has developed over the last couple of months being in a damp old garage.

When 1st started its fine runs lovely but when it gets hot .... its fine till you start to rev it then it goes to 3 cylinders and sounds really rough.

Seems to pop a bit after revving so I was thinking over fueling but all I can say for sure is its definately heat related. :-s

Edited by davey205

davey205

Well today I managed to shock myself after pushing the leads in to make sure everything was tight..... does this point to anything in particular?

I've done a search and it seems the ignition module is a likely suspect when it runs rough when hot...... maybe I could borrow a ignition module / buy it if it turns out to be that.

Edited by davey205

omega

Well today I managed to shock myself after pushing the leads in to make sure everything was tight..... does this point to anything in particular? LOOSE CONNECTIONS!

I've done a search and it seems the ignition module is a likely suspect when it runs rough when hot...... maybe I could borrow a ignition module / buy it if it turns out to be that.

it could be your coil breaking down when it gets hot

• Like 1

davey205

Is that the round thing on a square bracket near the inlet manifold? :blush:​

Right I'll have to get one.

Erm is the coil and ignition amp the same thing?

Edited by davey205

welshpug

no, the coil is the sparky thing either bolted on the middle of the inlet manifold or the side of the left hand strut top, ignition amplifier makes the sparky thing do its thing and is bolted to the alloy plate.

• Like 1

welshpug

it'll "work" fine, its from a carb 205, or a 1.9 Mi16, just a different bracket, might not fit properly, but should give a spark fine as the coil itself is the same.

• Like 1

davey205

Whats the general consensus on best brand? I see from searching that Intermotor are to be avoided.

Edited by davey205

Tom Fenton

In my experience that type of coil either works or doesn't. Misfire at a certain rev band around 4000rpm has always been ignition amp for me in the past.

In any case I would not go buying new bits by guesswork that's a way to waste lots of money double quick.

I would ask around for folk in your area who may have some spare items you can borrow to test.

• Like 1

davey205

It runs rough even at idle when its hot but fine till it warms up.

• Like 1

davey205

205 1.8 Diesel now complete with video;

http://videobam.com/ewraD

Checked for thermal paste on the ignition module - there wasn't any so added some premium cpu paste - no difference.

Edited by davey205

davey205

Its not the coil or ignition module I have also ruled out plugs, leads, dizzy cap, rotor arm, ecu temp sensor, tp switch.

What should I try next ?

Tom Fenton

Air flow meter

• Like 1

davey205

Thanks Tom, I definitely think its over fueling when i changed the plugs they were as black as the ace of spades and it pops when you lift off the gas if you rev it hard.

Oil pressure is good and runs sweet as a nut until hot.

I tried disconnecting the air flow meter today and wouldn't run at all...... presume this is normal?

Next I might try disconnecting the coolant temperature sensor I doubt its this as I've had it replaced within the last 5 years.

Will see if anyone on here has a afm I can borrow to test.

Edited by davey205

davey205

I spoke to my mechanic and he thinks its the ecu temp sensor ( I thought it had been changed recently but looking at the records well over 5 years ago ) is this a job for a beginner ?

davey205

Solved by cleaning the throttle body and all bits leading to air flow meter the whole thing was choked up with gunk ( I will always keep the mesh in the top of the filler cap there in the future! ) had a split hose too causing a massive air leak.

I suppose I will need to get another hose its the one going from the filler cap to yellow bung thing I've just put tape over it.

Can i put a tiny breather filter on the end of the filler cap and just block the yellow thing? I've just taped the tiny yellow hole atm.

Checked the plugs they were as black as anything, changed the plugs back to some old ngk ones I had in the garage cleaned thoroughly rotor arm and squirted a lot of the damp start spray about, also changed the dizzy cap the funny thing was I had two old ones and they all had a metal bit in all 4 corners but the one that was on the car only had 2 metal bits at the top :-s

Run it for well over an hour got really hot but didn't run rough at all, sorry if this is retarded but I'm not mechanically minded and its late and I'm tired, just posted this in case it helps someone.

davey205

Well it started doing it again recently and no amount of cleaning of intake and check for air leaks solved it.... it turned out there was a bent wire / plug to no3 injector I suppose shorting out when very hot and metal expanded.

Just posting this in case it helps anyone.