• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
James Cornell

Piston Rings

James Cornell

I have an engine to rebuild XU9 and I don't know what condition the rings/liners are going to be in, I just want to price everything up at the moment but I am struggling with rings.

Peugeot have told me they do not sell them and the only info I have really been able to get is the STD size 1.5mm X 1.5mm X 4MM

However if (this is an if because if they look ok they are staying in) the bores look a bit ropey and the compression is down and I decide to change the rings, surely it is worth buying +0.5 (or 20tho in old money) rings and having the liners matched if I am going to pay a man to machine the liners anyway???

But I have not seen anywhere that sells oversize rings

welshpug

if you machine the liners you will need larger pistons, which will tend to come with piston rings anyway.

640 61 is the set of rings per piston, they are NOT marked NFP, however at a retail of £35 per piston plus vat I would be going elsewhere.

mrfirepro

I dont know what the cost of machining the liners but new liners are about £30 ea, when you add in the fact that you will need new pistons, will it be worth it in the long run.

Edited by mrfirepro

James Cornell

So the advice is to hone and replace with standard rings (if the liners are good) and replace the liners if they are not.

That's fine but I am still struggling to find a decent place to buy some std rings, I've not bought any for a few years but I remember a full set for my x-flow was £45 delivered so I wasn't expecting to pay more than £60 ish

dcc

On ebay you can buy a set of pistons, liners, rings etc... for around £260 from memory

mrfirepro

Only recently completed my engine rebuild this is what I paid..

these are the prices I paid recently (1.9 8v)..RS Engine Supplies (Ashford, Kent) If you have trouble finding them I'll dig out there number

Rings - £49.87

BE - £29.46

Mains - £28.68 (half/Half or 4P/6G)

Washers - £9.46

All gaskets/seals and O rings - £68.50 (he said there are cheaper, <£45 but would not recommend them)

Head Bolts - £15.91

Liners - £29.86 ea

All plus VAT and delivery

The only parts they didn't do were rod bolts which I got from Spoox, iirc were around £90

Edited by mrfirepro

Miles

Waste of time honing liners, you never know if there any good really until honed so for the extra £40.00 your better off with new ones, Rings I use the Getize (Bad spelling I know) not cheap but by far the best quality ones out there,

DamirGTI

Rings I use the Getize (Bad spelling I know) not cheap but by far the best quality ones out there

Ditto , i'd also recommend Goetze rings .. by far the best ones .

Not quite sure , but me thinks that Peugeot/Citroen uses Goetze brand as an supplier for OE piston rings ?!

D

James Cornell

Does anybody have the part number for the Goetze rings for a std 1.9 8 v?

welshpug

I believe that would be:

08-322400-00

[R60950]

• Like 1

James Cornell

Legend!