• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Furyblade_Lee

1.6 Gti Sump Baffle?

Furyblade_Lee

Just got a replacement engine for my standard sprinting car, don't want it to meet the same fate as the last one so does anyone know where I can get a baffled sump for a 1.6 Gti? Thanks.

Anthony

Depends how extreme you want the baffling.

There's the PTS "eggbox" baffle that goes in the original sump, or all I do is to run a sump from a late XU 16v (and XU10 8v) engine which have a simple trapdoor baffle as standard and fine for a typical road/track 8v.

Straight fit onto a 1.6, just use the bolts from the donor sump.

Furyblade_Lee

Thanks Anthony, so if was to just scour say eBay what do I look for? MI16 sump or Gti 6 etc?

Anthony

My prefered choice is the alloy sump from aircon equipped XU10J2 (2.0 8v) and XU10J4 (2.0 S16) engines, as that's compact and has the oil temp sensor already in place. Getting a bit harder to find these days now.

The tin sump on non-aircon variants of the above engines is OK, but like most tin sumps I tend to find they're a pain to seal and also the baffle (or was it the trapdoor?) is plastic and needs a little modification to stop the trapdoor falling off and rendering the baffling useless.

XU10J4R (306/406 2.0 16v 136hp) and XU10J4RS (GTi-6) alloy sumps have two "wings" on them which are quite bulky although you could easily cut them off.

XU7JP4 (1.8 16v) sumps are compact but whilst the casting is present for the oil temp sensor it's not drilled and tapped from the factory. Easy enough to address if you've access to a decent selection of drills and taps of course.

On all the above, get the matching baffle plate from the oil pump and as said before, the correct bolts.

1.9 Mi16 sumps are not baffled nor are early 2.0 Mi16 sumps (later ones are as per S16 above)

Furyblade_Lee

Excellent thanks!