• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
cybernck

Engine Number Decode

cybernck

Hello,

Can an engine type be decoded from its serial number such as 1CW...?

And does anyone have a XU9J or XU9JAZ serial number to PM me as a reference?

Thanks.

DamirGTI

Not sure if the serial numbers are same so that they can be used for engine identification ?! maybe the top number row ie. 1CW could , but bottom row is surely specific to the each individual engine ..

Tried looking in my OE service books - theres no data trough serial numbers for engine type ID , just by the plate code D6B DKZ etc.

Anyways , i have two XU9JAZ DKZ engines , had a look on one and the serial number is :

DKZ : 1CW6U

D6B : 1CW6D

... i have one more DKZ engine , if you wish i can take a look tomorrow if it has the same serial number as this one above .

D

cybernck

Thanks mate, that's great and info on the other DKZ engine will be perfect, as I suspect that 1CW6X mean it's a 1.9.

From what I've seen, my 1.6 engines were 1CT61 XXXXXX and it was a sticker rather than pressed in letters.

The last 6 numbers are the unique identification, though all I've seen seem to be 00XXXX or even 000XXX, which is a bit strange.

Still puzzled as to what's the meaning of the letters U, D etc though.

DamirGTI

Interesting , if 1.6 engines have 1CT code opposite to the 1CW then that could be used at least for 1.6 vs 1.9 ID :) .. as both the DKZ and D6B engines have 1CW code .. curious about the end U/D letter meanings too , could be production year maybe ?!

Will have a look on my other DKZ engine tomorrow , if it has came 1CW6U code ... i have one more which suppose to be 1.6 (the engine code plate is missing) but it has a serial number plate , will have a look on that one as well .

D

2-Pugs

As long as you keep them to yourself I can send you a list of 25 DKZ engine codes, which are all in the same 'ballpark' of numbers and all went into identical cars :)