• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
CHRISWB

8V. Turbo Intercooler

CHRISWB

So I'm waiting for my clutch and flywheel so was going to see about piping the intercooler in and was wanting to know if anyone has got any good pics of how they have roughted there pipes, I am using a eBay intercooler kit as a few people have used on here.

I have used the search and can't really find where people have roughted there's.

Some pics or advice would be great.

Thanks all

Slo

Did you get the one with the 180 degree ally bends or is it an all straight and silicone 90 degree bends kit?

CHRISWB

I have got the one with straight silicone but I think that there is only straight and 90degree metal pipes. Not 180 degree pipes.

CHRISWB

There is some 90 degree silicone pipes

Slo

If you look on page 2 of my struggle thread i've posted ebay links of the gear i bought for mine, the intercooler kit had u bends cutting out 4 silicone elbows in 1 go.

Trimmed to size they "just" fit.

You'll need a T piece to connect in the idle circuit also linked

CHRISWB

I have got the same kit just not with the u bends. I will order the t piece tomorrow. Have you got any pics of how you roughed your piping?

Slo

Silicone elbow off the inlet facing down, then the T piece, then an ally elbow with a straight silicone join, then the U bend with another straight silicone join,intercooler mounted on a piece of angle iron bolted to the bumper bars, U bend, ally elbow, then a 2.75 to 2.5 45 degree silicone reducer as my turbo to intercooler pipe with the dump valve on it is plastic and smaller than the ally one on the xm/406 version.

Rest is all bog standard, however I haven't got a filter on mine its just the end of the pipe to air, not really recommended but i've had no problems as of yet but i've stripped out the battery cables from a bmw convertible and fitted them into my car, just been lazy as I haven't moved the battery to the boot yet, when I move it I will be able to fit a cone filter where the battery normally sits.

You will need to make holes in your headlight panels, no way round this unless you want it to get really ugly and visible on the outside.

• Like 1

CHRISWB

What is the t piece for when you come down from the turbo? Do I need to order 2 t pieces?

Slo

Its got a 1 inch diameter take off for the idle control pipe so you can keep the idle circuit oe

CHRISWB

Are I see so where abouts have you got that situated? Is it more near the front of the motor, close to the intercooler?

Slo

Which part the idle circuit? It's the exact same position it was on the original car just cramped up a bit. Im at work next 3 days on 12 hour shifts so thursday i can blitz it with the camera if you like. I basically copied how some firm had done it on a website but the website seems to have been removed now.

Thats not a great explanation is it lol the original circuit sticks out to the offside, loops over the top and goes to the idle motor which sits in a rubber cradle mounted to the battery box, then returns more or less directly to the idle inlet above the air inlet on the tb.

Edited by Slo

CHRISWB

That would be great pal thanks, I will also order the t piece and possibly the fan aswel, thanks to your links reminding me I need a fan.

Slo

Quite a good fan that is very quiet and seems to work a lot better than the original one, though saying that I have a new radiator and heater matrix too.

CHRISWB

Both ordered should be here soon. More bits to put on.

Slo

Youll be glad you did mate all fits sweet as a nut. Make sure you cut all your fan shroud out for maximum air flow

Slo

Right here we go then, first 4 pictures are from the website i got the idea from but I cant find it anymore so its a good idea I saved them. Next one's my own replication of it. Because i had the U bends they are quite large so had to cut the holes in the front panels a lot lower than they are in these pictures as there was nowhere near enough room to go straight behind.

944197_10151926238542222_1262621288_n_zp

934760_10151926238602222_677151913_n_zps

197635_10151926238657222_88393927_n_zps5

295363_10151926238622222_2117592453_n_zp

966912_10151934088017222_146590058_o_zps

IMG_20140327_183024_zps59c77d6d.jpg

IMG_20140327_182959_zps80b08721.jpg

T piece for the idle circuit next.

IMG_20140327_182833_zps64667771.jpg

Idle motor in place on its mount.

IMG_20140327_182502_zpsb9d01b6d.jpg

Complete idle circuit.

IMG_20140327_182634_zps72dd196a.jpg

IMG_20140327_182609_zps5369fc76.jpg

And finally the reducer I had to buy hiding under the idle motor. Check out how close the clutch cable is to the boost pipe.

IMG_20140327_182655_zpsc89689fc.jpg

Edited by Slo

allanallen

Ha, that'll be mine then! :P think it was www.universal-intercoolers.co.uk, I got a decent discount for sending him pictures :)

• Like 1

Slo

OMG i couldn't find it because it had a - in the website address ffs :lol: I KNEW it was universal intercoolers.something.

Well cheers for the pics allan they really helped me no end, I wouldn't have been able to do mine without them as I was clearly stuck at the time.

Did you do the work yourself? I put those 4 pictures on my facebook profile and despite me pointing out from the start it wasn't mine and i was just going to do it similar plus the fact its green and mines black all my mates were saying whoa supercharged well cool :wub:

allanallen

I just googled universal intercoolers, 'twas the top hit!

Yeah I did it all, it was only mocked up in the sorrento shell and now resides in a white car. There's a bit of a build thread on here if you have a search ;)

Slo

Searched to death when i needed the info couldn't find zippo and hmm yes i see the link on google, when i originally found the pictures it was a direct link to the images and had it saved in my favourites. Must've seen the home page and thought it wasn't the one.

I'd already bought the intercooler and kit off ebay so couldn't believe it when i saw them with the same cooler was well chuffed.

Edited by Slo

CHRISWB

Thanks for the pics slo will make a start on it now I have a idea how to route the pipe work. Will more than likely have more questions.