• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
yorkshirekowboy

Shunt Box Wiring Diagram.

yorkshirekowboy

Hello, bought another shunt box setup with the leads which go to the battery, alternator and starter. My gti one, when doing my mi16 engine conversion, I cut the postive clamp which I regret as I'm wanting it back to how it was. But looking at my current shunt box set up, there is two feeds from the battery to the shunt. They are held one with a 10 mm nuts I think. The one I bought only has one feed from the battery to the shunt. I gather two is needed? it's from a automatic abd has a different type of shunt with more fuse holes etc. Can anybody help? Thanks

Slo

Where there are 2 banks 1 bank was probably for interior and engine side of the electrics and the other bank for high current drawing/critical components like abs and rad fans.

Just join both up on yours, as long as there is a plug for everything it will be fine.

yorkshirekowboy

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nglqnulwxu9i9xi/IMAG0245.jpg

The above is what I mean. My gti has two wires feed from the battery. This automatic one only has one.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/31cq0cyuntc5obg/0N-vNKmArB

This piccy shows how much bigger the fuse area is, it's the same dimensions as the gti.

Slo

same pictures mate but i know what you mean I have a 605 shunt box on mine that looks like that.

yorkshirekowboy

So you reckon matey that only one feed is needed?

Slo

Like I said as long as you have a hole for each of your plugs to go into, i'd just join both together to the 10mm nuts connection. As you've no abs (hopefully)

Ryan

It shouldn't make any difference whether there's one or two connections to the battery. Both are joined together inside the shunt box, so it's all part of the same circuit.

yorkshirekowboy

Thank you, I thought only feed would be needed. Now just looking at a way of attaching the shunt box in a good position as my mi16 afm and k&n blocks me from using the existing mount. Gutted really. Been looking on piccys of where others have put theirs but can't really tell. I had mine underneath the afm, on a bracket I made attached to the battery tray. Any ideas ....

Mac Crash

Mines just dangles around, no longer even attached to the slam panel because of the afm position and the k&n filter, no running issues at all... atm anyway

jackherer

It's not a good idea to leave it loose, the wire is unfused and fairly heavy gauge so the risk of starting a fire if it shorts to ground is pretty high.

yorkshirekowboy

Yeah don't think I would leave it loose.???? Erm any ideas of good places for it to be mounted.

• Like 1

jackherer

A bracket on the battery tray is pretty much the only option unless you extend the wiring.

yorkshirekowboy

Yeah that's what I've done. Cheers

jackherer

I think it's a good location for it, in the event of a crash it is behind the area that just crumples up.

Mac Crash

Just to clarify, this is the little black box (roughly about the size of a 10 cigarette packet) that's normally attached with two long bolts onto the slam panel?

I read a little about this before and understand it cut's the fuel supply off in the event of a shunt/accident? How exactly does it work? would be good to know.

Will try to cable tie it securely in place and make sure it can't rub on anything, but I'm thinking it's obviously meant to be attached to the slam panel for a reason?

yorkshirekowboy

Yeah that's the little hero . Good to know how it does that in an event of a crash ....

Slo

No its an inertia switch that cuts the fuel supply. The shunt box is just a mini fuse box for critical or power hungry systems on the car like abs or the rad fan.

welshpug

No its an inertia switch that cuts the fuel supply. The shunt box is just a mini fuse box for critical or power hungry systems on the car like abs or the rad fan.

not quite, its the whole car's lifeline, ALL the power goes through that.

Slo

Yeah that too :lol: hence when it gets a bit corroded or one of the red leads breaks off or it touches anything earthed, odd things stop randomly working :)

jackherer

If the lead breaks off the shunt box EVERYTHING stops working!

Mac Crash

Have searched all shunt box related topics and still none the wiser as to what it's actual purpose is, electrics is a real weak point for me, anyone who knows?

Ryan

It's just a connection point for all the positive cables. It takes one cable from the battery and splits it into the different circuits for the starter+alternator, radiator fan, and the main connection to the fusebox under the dash.

pug_ham

It's just a connection point for all the positive cables. It takes one cable from the battery and splits it into the different circuits for the starter+alternator, radiator fan, and the main connection to the fusebox under the dash.

Not quite, the starter & alternator are fed directly from the battery positive terminal, along with the shunt box that has a separate feed from there.

Items powered from the shunt box are the ecu (or tachymetric relay on the 205GTI), cooling fan, main car electrics via the fusebox.

Depending on how people have done their conversions this might not always be the same.

g

pyrrhic

If the lead breaks off the shunt box EVERYTHING stops working!

Yep, I was driving my car at night when the live wire touched ground, EVERYTHING went dead! No spark, no lights, no nothing! I had to shine a torch out my window to guide my way through a forest, just coasted into the next village and parked it there. My battery was very hot to the touch. I was very lucky to not have a fire.

Leaving the shunt box just dangling below the AFM after a K&N filter install is dangerous. Don't do it. Mount it somewhere, even if just zip tied to the AFM mount that comes in the K&N kit.

Edited by pyrrhic
  • Like 1

GLPoomobile

Leaving the shunt box just dangling below the AFM after a K&N filter install is dangerous. Don't do it. Mount it somewhere, even if just zip tied to the AFM mount that comes in the K&N kit.

Absolutely! When I installed a 57i on my very first GTI I couldn't get the shunt box to mount securely anywhere as there was not enough free play in the cables and I just tucked it down under the AFM. I genuinely had no idea what the shunt box did or what the risk was. In hind sight, it was incredibly stupid and I was so lucky it never shorted out. Yes, the shunt box connections should be covered by a little plastic flap, but still the risk is there.

I'm reasonably sure (it was 7 years ago) that when I bought my current GTI, which has an Mi in it, the shunt box was dangling down by the gear box. And this was a professional conversion done by a supposedly reputable company.

• Like 1